website statistics

Team GB medal hopes - Swimming Road to Paris 2024

I don’t see GB being favourites for gold in any of the relays aside from the men’s 4x200m free…

the women’s team I think will perform well with finals appearances but without the medals to show for it as the top end is another level in most events.

I think Amelie might qualify for both the 800 and 1500. Her season is all on those two races at trials; she races every session at junior meets over long distances and it’ll be interesting to see what she can with more rest and a taper. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 1:35 AM, Cinnamon Bun said:

100m Breast

Kara Hanlon might be able to achieve the standard, but even if she doesn't the selectors may let her compete if she achieved the OQT and if the relay qualifies to give her a feel for things. Angharad Evans and Imogen Clark are outsiders to achieve the time. 

Angharad Evans achieved the OQT this weekend with a new PB 1:06.65 at the BUCS Long Course Championship :clap: 

BTW, we are getting dangerously close to the 30 athlete cap that British Swimming have in their selection document. Really hoping that a few more can be added to the list to give selectors a real dilemma. 

Yes - great news that she has taken a massive step forward. Definitely came in the radar when she knocked 7 secs off her 200m PB at the end of 2023! That British record might be in danger…

she still needs to win at trials though which might be a tight race with Kara.

the other notable performance from BUCS was Ollie Morgan in the 100m (time would have won world bronze) and 1m 57 200m. 

As GB should meet all the relay criteria, then the 30 threshold might indeed need re-looking at.

the distance swimmers like Bird, Jarvis, Blocksidge, Fleur Lewis could put pressure on that number. Backup for the relays will also be key, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all fits together. 

2 minutes ago, RussB said:

Yes - great news that she has taken a massive step forward. Definitely came in the radar when she knocked 7 secs off her 200m PB at the end of 2023! That British record might be in danger…

she still needs to win at trials though which might be a tight race with Kara.

the other notable performance from BUCS was Ollie Morgan in the 100m (time would have won world bronze) and 1m 57 200m. 

As GB should meet all the relay criteria, then the 30 threshold might indeed need re-looking at.

the distance swimmers like Bird, Jarvis, Blocksidge, Fleur Lewis could put pressure on that number. Backup for the relays will also be key, so it’ll be interesting to see how it all fits together. 

Yeah - I am loathed to get too excited about swimmers getting the qualifying time this early in year as it really wont mean anything if they don't perform at trials. That being said, from what I have seen so far, most of our squad are performing ahead of where they were this time last year so the signs are generally positive.

Will be interesting to see if we'll get any new qualifiers next week at the Edinburgh International meet. 

If keanna makes strides in the 100m butterfly and Lauren /medi can drop some time in the 100m back then the girls 4x100 medley relay might get a little interesting all of a sudden.

Edinburgh is the next stop for sure, GB trials could really be fireworks I think in April. Looking forward to seeing who makes a big jump forward 😃

8 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Angharad Evans achieved the OQT this weekend with a new PB 1:06.65 at the BUCS Long Course Championship :clap: 

BTW, we are getting dangerously close to the 30 athlete cap that British Swimming have in their selection document. Really hoping that a few more can be added to the list to give selectors a real dilemma. 

She may have achieved the OQT but she's still has to knock 3 tenths off to achieve the British Swimming standard. But if she continues in the same vein as she did at BUCS, where she knocked 6 tenths off her PB, she should have no problem achieving it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 8:11 AM, Cinnamon Bun said:

She may have achieved the OQT but she's still has to knock 3 tenths off to achieve the British Swimming standard. But if she continues in the same vein as she did at BUCS, where she knocked 6 tenths off her PB, she should have no problem achieving it. 

Angharad Evans gets a new PB in the final of the Edinburgh International meet with an OQT of 1:06.25 and more importantly, it's also within the British Swimming's nomination standard - now all she has to do is repeat that at the Trials next month but based on current form, got to believe she has a great chance of setting new British record and booking her ticket to Paris.

Also worth mentioning Kara Hanlon - she clocked a 1:06.90 so needs to shave half a second off her time to meet the standard. 

18 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Angharad Evans gets a new PB in the final of the Edinburgh International meet with an OQT of 1:06.25 and more importantly, it's also within the British Swimming's nomination standard - now all she has to do is repeat that at the Trials next month but based on current form, got to believe she has a great chance of setting new British record and booking her ticket to Paris.

Also worth mentioning Kara Hanlon - she clocked a 1:06.90 so needs to shave half a second off her time to meet the standard. 

Evans looked great tonight, she blitzed the first 50 and nearly did it in sub 31 seconds. Can definitely see her going under 1:06, and even if she doesn't repeat this but still comes really close I can't see BS passing her up with the form she's in + with her being in the relay too. 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:11 AM, Cinnamon Bun said:

I suspect come Brisbane in 2023 that policy is gone - it’s clear the direction of travel is for NOC’s and domestic governing bodies to lose selection power and things to be uniform across the world. 

33 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I suspect come Brisbane in 2023 that policy is gone - it’s clear the direction of travel is for NOC’s and domestic governing bodies to lose selection power and things to be uniform across the world. 

I am sorry but you really do talk some nonsense - I'm not sure if you genuinely believe half the stuff that you write or whether you do it trying to get a rise out of someone.