website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

16 hours ago, Josh said:

:MEX and :CAN both fail to qualify :(:yikes:

Well, 3m women has always been the discipline where we had the weakest divers. That and the fact that Paola Pineda is not on the same level, really made it difficult from the start of the "free" rounds.

I'm not even sure any of the individual women will qualify tomorrow, but let's see.

Halfway through the men's 10m synchro:

:CHN 189.48 - Down 18 points on 2023 score. 

:GBR 187.08 - Up 11 points on 2023 score.

:CAN 177.12

:GER 167.17 - Up 4 points.

:MEX 165.12 - Down 9 points. 

:MAS 164.70 - Up 57 points.

:PRK 160.44

:UKR 159.84 - Down 12 points.

Currently quotas for :GBR :CAN :GER :MAS but long way to go. 

21 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Hopefully this won't be a jinx, but :GBR Tom Daley hasn't scored less than 8.5 from any judge across his 5 rounds of dives. Safe to say he is well and truly back :d 

:wall:Jinxed it - scores drop to 6.5 in the final round. Still done enough for the quota though. 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:45 PM, mrv86 said:

I think so too, provided that out of the synchro pairs from :CHN :FRA :GBR :ITA :MEX :USA, at least 6 divers “double” up, which is likely.

Right now, the last athlete with a mathematical chance would be :PUR Emmanuel Vazquez, but I doubt anyone past :DOM Frandiel Gomez makes it.

No place for North Korea :(

On 2/7/2024 at 3:36 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

Looking at the men's 3m springboard competition, I think we are probably sitting at between 24-27 quotas:

image.png

I think it is likely that :CHN will end up taking 3 athletes in the 3m events. Wang Zongyuan is pretty much nailed on to do both synchro and individual, whilst Siyi Xie is likely to be favourite to get the nod for the second individual spot. The only question then is whether Xie doubles up in the synchro but given Zongyuan and Daoyi are well established pairing, I can see the team replicating their 2012 and 2016 approach and taking 3 athletes.

For :FRA, Joules Bouyer and Alexis Jandard will likely take the synchro spot and I'd be 90%+ certain that Bouyer will also be in the individual. When it comes to the second spot, Jandard will need to fight it out against Bisch. 

With :GBR, we have our established synchro pairing of Laugher and Harding and that won't change as we go forward to Paris. Laugher is also likely to take one of the individual spots. Competition for the second individual spot will probably be among the most intense in the diving squad with at least 3-4 names very much in the mix. At this point, I'd say it is more likely than not that we will use 3 quotas in this event.

Finally, for :USA, the depth of their squad always makes it difficult to guess what their team will look like but again, I think it is likely they'll end up with 3 athletes on springboard. I don't think we should read too much into their results from Doha - they already had the full set of quotas from Fukuoka so didn't really need to peak for this week. 

Looking across the last three OG even the teams with the greatest strength in depth haven't taken more than 12 divers to fill the 16 quotas freeing up spots for others.

China: 2012 - 12, 2016 - 12, 2020 - 10

GB: 2012 - 12, 2016 - 11, 2020 - 12