website statistics

Who would you make your NOC flag bearer in Paris 2024?

rafalgorka

For :CAN  I have no clue. We could have lesser known names as our joint flag bearers (Tokyo 2020 opening ceremony), but at the same time I wouldn’t be surprised to see them being some of the stars of our country. 

16 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

:IRL : Mona McSherry & Rhys McClenneghan OR Ciara Mageann & Daniel Wiffen OR (leftfield) Nhat Nguyen & Rhasidat Adeleke OR Rory McIlroy & Lucy Mulhall

I would say there’s a less than zero chance McIlroy would agree to that. Leona Maguire might be a good shout if you want a golfer to do it. Lowry would absolutely agree to it 

For me I’d like to see rowing represented for the first time since 1976. Considering she re-started Irish rowing almost single-handedly, I’d give it to Sanita Puspure in her final event (if qualified of course)

Boxing have had the last 3(!) so maybe another sport. If going with a male athlete, Mark English would be a good lifetime achievement award and a rep for Athletics

23 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I wonder how it is in your country but in Poland we say: The flag bearer won't make it to the medal.

In recent editions Polish flag bearers were usually well-picked (imho) but they failed to get a medal almost every time.

In Spain is the opposite. From 1992 onwards, all the flagbearers finished at least top8, and from 2008 all made it to the podium with the exception of Mireia Belmonte in Tokyo (she finished 4th).

1 hour ago, dodge said:

I would say there’s a less than zero chance McIlroy would agree to that. Leona Maguire might be a good shout if you want a golfer to do it. Lowry would absolutely agree to it 

For me I’d like to see rowing represented for the first time since 1976. Considering she re-started Irish rowing almost single-handedly, I’d give it to Sanita Puspure in her final event (if qualified of course)

Boxing have had the last 3(!) so maybe another sport. If going with a male athlete, Mark English would be a good lifetime achievement award and a rep for Athletics

Good call, actually, on McIlroy. Lowry would be a brilliant choice, he'd love it, and I absolutely should not have left out Sanita - I'm a big supporter of honouring the 'New Irish'. If he qualifies, Thomas Barr is another shout, as is any of our women's boxers. To be fair, our likely team is going to be full of worthy bearers  - we've seldom had such a great Olympic focus in the past, being a team sport orientated nation with a tendency to enjoy some non-Olympic stuff too (horseracing, GAA, snooker etc)