website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Here’s a quiz that tells you where in America you’re from based off your accent. I’d be interested to see a few users try: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

I got Reno and Fresno. I don’t get LA because my grandma, who I’m close with, was raised in Kansas, so I’ve picked up some of her slang. Plus, I’ve picked up some of my dads from the NorthWest, so I get put somewhere in the middle of those three, hence Reno.

What about you guys @dezbee2008 @Maxim Fastovsky @bmo @Rdbc @Csapo?

I’d be interested in @intoronto @ofan @orangeman answers too, and maybe @OlympicIRL @Grassmarket @Dragon since our language is the closers in similarity.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I got Reno and Fresno. I don’t get LA because my grandma, who I’m close with, was raised in Kansas, so I’ve picked up some of her slang. Plus, I’ve picked up some of my dads from the NorthWest, so I get put somewhere in the middle of those three, hence Reno.

I’d be interested in @intoronto @ofan @orangeman answers too, and maybe @OlympicIRL @Grassmarket @Dragon since our language is the closers in similarity.

This doesn’t seem to have any canadian cities as an option- but I got San Jose, Honolulu and Los Angeles. I am not surprised, as I have been to both the Bay Area and Los Angeles once before, and found that part of the States to have the accent most similar to mine. 

I would be interested to see a Canadian version of this - we have different slang, a lot as it pertains to alcohol (Mickey is a small bottle of liquor, two-four, pop instead of soda, etc.). We also say Eh a lot, this is true, but at the end of a statement to turn into into a quasi-question, and not in regular everyday speech. 

I’m from the Toronto area and there is a lot of slang used there (they call it a Toronto mans accent, the way of speaking Drake has basically) that I don’t use, most likely because I am white and had a very Western European upbringing. 

8 minutes ago, ofan said:

This doesn’t seem to have any canadian cities as an option- but I got San Jose, Honolulu and Los Angeles. I am not surprised, as I have been to both the Bay Area and Los Angeles once before, and found that part of the States to have the accent most similar to mine. 

I would be interested to see a Canadian version of this - we have different slang, a lot as it pertains to alcohol (Mickey is a small bottle of liquor, two-four, pop instead of soda, etc.). We also say Eh a lot, this is true, but at the end of a statement to turn into into a quasi-question, and not in regular everyday speech. 

I’m from the Toronto area and there is a lot of slang used there (they call it a Toronto mans accent, the way of speaking Drake has basically) that I don’t use, most likely because I am white and had a very Western European upbringing. 

There’s also a lot modern slang they don’t test for. They could probably guess your age, where you live, and if English is your first language just based off a good quiz. 

They haven’t made one for Canada, but there is one for the UK and Ireland.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, ofan said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you call the bug, the road next to a highway, the divider between traffic, the sweet carbonated drink, and the place where traffic meets at an intersection without traffic lights that goes in a loop?

Speaking of traffic lights, there’s nothing more horrible as an American than traveling to Canada and getting a blinking green. The shit gave my whole family a collective heart attack.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you call the bug, the road next to a highway, the divider between traffic, the sweet carbonated drink, and the place where traffic meets at an intersection without traffic lights that goes in a loop?

Speaking of traffic lights, there’s nothing more horrible as an American than traveling to Canada and getting a blinking green. The shit gave my whole family a collective heart attack.

Firefly, nothing, median, pop, roundabout, hbu?

I haven't come across blinking greens here. Are you talking about an advanced green? Where was this?

19 minutes ago, ofan said:

Firefly, nothing, median, pop, roundabout, hbu?

I haven't come across blinking greens here. Are you talking about an advanced green? Where was this?

Firefly (lightning bug is used as well, but personally firefly), access road (or service road), island, soda, roundabout. The large wild cat would also be referred to as a Mountain Lion where I live.

I was in B.C when we came across it.

I’ve also never heard a single Canadian use Eh or Soory. I think there’s actually a good difference between West, East, and French Canada.

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I got Lexington, Knoxville and Honolulu :d

10 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I got Lexington, Knoxville and Honolulu :d

Yeah I thought the MidEast/MidWest would be the closest to you :d

Edited by Olympian1010

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

I was told by an American before that my accent reminded him of the Minnesotan accent.... no idea what that sounds like so :d

Just listened to the Minnesota accent on YouTube and it's nothing much like our accent. Not that any Irish accent is anyway similar to any American accent.