website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

And there they go, a Belgian town has started with the demolition of a 13th century grand piece of military architecture, a bridge that has to be destroyed in order for bigger ships (= more money) to pass through :cry: (video in the article)

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/08/02/afbraak-van-historische-brug-pont-des-trous-in-doornik-is-begonn/

b283a3df-b530-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Shooting in an El Paso Walmart, with reports going from 20+ wounded to 18 adults and 4 children dead. Unconfirmed though, also the 'multiple shooters' thing that's going around is all unconfirmed. It's clear though shit has hit the fan at the El Paso Walmart..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Shooting in an El Paso Walmart, with reports going from 20+ wounded to 18 adults and 4 children dead. Unconfirmed though, also the 'multiple shooters' thing that's going around is all unconfirmed. It's clear though shit has hit the fan at the El Paso Walmart..

I hadn’t heard about this yet, but it’s starting to pop up in my news feed. As journalist, our general rule (that journalists who work for big companies for a living break all the time) to wait 24-48 hours before taking any information as fact. Generally the casualty numbers will be inflated, but I fear it may be bad. It’s not shocking as we’ve already established here on the forum, it’s just a sickening and saddening part of American culture.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I hadn’t heard about this yet, but it’s starting to pop up in my news feed. As journalist, our general rule (that journalists who work for big companies for a living break all the time) to wait 24-48 hours before taking any information as fact. Generally the casualty numbers will be inflated, but I fear it may be bad. It’s not shocking as we’ve already established here on the forum, it’s just a sickening and saddening part of American culture.

It's all nice and well that they (actual journalists) have that as 'rule', but I'm sure you understand there are situations where that's nonsense. When a mayor says "multiple people have been killed", it'd be rather stupid to wait 24 hours before reporting so.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It's all nice and well that they (actual journalists) have that as 'rule', but I'm sure you understand there are situations where that's nonsense. When a mayor says "multiple people have been killed", it'd be rather stupid to wait 24 hours before reporting so.

Excuse me :redcard:. Yes, there situations where the rule becomes less relevant. However, I find it a little disgusting when they pull 50,000 news vans as close as they can to scene where an active shooters been. Plus, they call police lines when really they shouldn’t be because then victims can’t get through. I will always defend the importance of media, but like anything else in life, I’ll call it out when there’s a major issue that needs fixing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Excuse me :redcard:. Yes, there situations where the rule becomes less relevant. However, I find it a little disgusting when they pull 50,000 news vans as close as they can to scene where an active shooters been. Plus, they call police lines when really they shouldn’t be because then victims can’t get through. I will always defend the importance of media, but like anything else in life, I’ll call it out when there’s a major issue that needs fixing.

Sure, understandable. However, this isn't about that, it's about authorities giving information and one might assume that information is as correct as it can be. Wait a day with reporting it and you won't find much of a reporting job.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sure, understandable. However, this isn't about that, it's about authorities giving information and one might assume that information is as correct as it can be. Wait a day with reporting it and you won't find much of a reporting job.

Yes that is the industry problem I’m talking about. People have gotten so use to real time information that as a journalist if you don’t report on an event 5 minutes after it happens then your as good as useless. That’s why I tend to focus on sports journalism (humble plug: games24.totallympics.com) because there’s still room to be both informative and relevant as a news source.