Bronze: :FRA Enzo Lefort & :JPN Kyosuke Matsumoto

Semifinals

Itkin b. Matsumoto  15-10

Marini b. Lefort  15-13

Gold Medal Match

Marini b. Itkin  15-13

Full Ranking & Results

https://www.fencingworldwide.com/en/2978-2022/results/

More on today’s incident between Kharlan and Smirnova: https://www.bbc.com/sport/fencing/66322668

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, phelps said:

no, they don't have a 3rd good fencer, unfortunately

even with 2 among the best (and even in a "poor" weapon like women's sabre), it's impossible to make the top 8 on regular basis with a 3rd member like Greece's 3rd

And this is why fencing has one of the best team events among the individual sports. It's the only combat sport where the team format truly works because you actually need a team. One bad member can kill your chances even if you got two amazing fencers. 

There really should be a wild card system for a situation like Greece. When a fencer is in the Top5 in the world, they shouldn't be able to miss the Olympic Games. 

Edited by Vektor

Small but important interview from Olga Kharlan

🗣 "Friends, hello everyone. Today was, as you can see, a very difficult and very important day. What happened today raises a lot of questions, but at the same time gives many answers. We understood that the country that terrorizes our state, our people, our families, also terrorizes sports. Because what happened today is what should have happened.

💬 I didn't want to shake this athlete's hand. I acted with my heart. So when I heard that they wanted to remove me from the competition and give me a black card, of course it killed me. It hurt so much that I screamed in pain. But then I started to come alive. Because you... Because your messages, your stories, your support, the support of everyone, especially our fighters who protect us. When I hear that I motivate them, or that my act motivates them, it's... It's indescribable. I thank each and every one of you, thank you to every fighter who protects us.

❤️ You know, no one can ever be forced into peace. Especially Ukrainians. No handshakes. Never. It will always be like that. I, like everyone in the adequate world, understand that the rules must change because the world changes. But what I feel from all of you cannot be expressed in words. Thanks to everyone, I feel everything, you are in my heart. Glory to Ukraine," said Olga.

Yes, Kharlan was dq today, but it's one more argument why she is one of the greatest Ukrainian athletes in history. Absolutely incredible fencer, I proud of her so much :wub:

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

The draw for tomorrow is out, this is how the potential Round of 16 looks like...

Men's epee

:FRA v :NED  ||  :KAZ v :CHN

:JPN v :GER  ||  :KOR v :UKR

:HUN v :ISR  ||  :VEN v :ESP

:ITA v :EGY  ||  :SUI v :CZE

Women's foil

:ITA v :GBR  ||  :GER v :ESP

:JPN v :AUT  ||  :CAN v :UKR

:FRA v :SGP  ||  :CHN v :KOR

:USA v :HKG  ||  :POL v :HUN 

Men's epee is a clusterfuck, I don't want to say anything about it until the first few rounds go down. In women's foil the Germany-Spain and Poland-Hungary matches will be extremely important for the European quota. Egypt will have to beat Colombia in men's epee to secure their quota. 

Our leader in women's foil got injured in the last World Cup of the season and the reserve is a very mediocre fencer, so we basically have no chance against Germany this year.

On the other hand, let's see if we can make it to Round of 8 in men's epee. Our best fencer, Yulen Pereira, also got injured in the last World Cup and has been performing very poorly since then, but at least he can participate and the other 3 fencers are not bad either.

I don't understand why Kharlan was Dq , she has all the right to shake hands or not , nothing really hurts about this , especially because Russian Athletes aren't really welcomed nowadays from their neighbours and Fie should understand this , yet Sport shouldn't be involved with Politics , but at least we have to understand feelings of these Athletes 

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

I don't understand why Kharlan was Dq , she has all the right to shake hands or not , nothing really hurts about this , especially because Russian Athletes aren't really welcomed nowadays from their neighbours and Fie should understand this , yet Sport shouldn't be involved with Politics , but at least we have to understand feelings of these Athletes 

you know that's not optional in fencing, right? if not, you can read the rules yourself. page 39

https://static.fie.org/uploads/29/149099-technical rules ang.pdf