website statistics

Tennis ITF Roland Garros 2023

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So 8 days into the tournament and so far only 1 women's match has been deemed of sufficient quality to grace the night session on Chatrier. Alexander Zverev is tonight racking up his 4th night session match - that's the same number of night matches the women's tour have had across 3 years.

This year alone, Zverev, who is seeded 22, has had 3 night session matches and yet Caroline Garcia - home favourite and 5th seed - wasn't deemed good enough to warrant a night match. Nor was Ons Jabeur when she took on a French woman in round 2. 

Surely somebody within that organizing committee has the balls to stand up and say that their handling of the scheduling can't be right. They are making themselves look a laughing stock. 

I am a big WTA fan, but most people want to see men's tennis. That's just the reality. And the nature of bo5 and longer matches (on average) makes it an easier choice. The logic decision would be to put one match from each gender like the Us Open or Aus Open, but Mauresmo said they don't want to end the sessions too late past midnight.

Also, Swiatek said she requested to play at daylight and Coco Gauff said that no one wants to play at night. When the two finalist from last year say that, there isn't a big incentive to put them at night.

Edited by NMQ

9 minutes ago, NMQ said:

I am a big WTA fan, but most people want to see men's tennis. That's just the reality. And the nature of bo5 and longer matches (on average) makes it an easier choice. The logic decision would be to put one match from each gender like the Us Open or Aus Open, but Mauresmo said they don't want to end the sessions too late past midnight.

Also, Swiatek said she requested to play at daylight and Coco Gauff said that no one wants to play at night. When the two finalist from last year say that, there isn't a big incentive to put them at night.

Unfortunately I don't agree with the central premise that most people want to see men's tennis - that was the same argument used to justify lower prize money for women and it wasn't defensible then and isn't defensible now. The popularity of women's sport, including tennis has been growing over the last few years.

That being said, of course there are marquee names in the men's draw who absolutely are a major driver of ticket sales and deserve the prestige of a night match - but I wouldn't say that Zverez was one of those people and I certainly don't believe that Caroline Garcia is not as big a draw as Jannik Sinner. 

I get that some people don't like/want to play at night - but frankly you play when you're told to play. 4 night matches in two and a half years just comes across as a lack of respect for the women's game. 

Since even tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said last year women's matches aren't bringing enough revenue, not much will change going forward. After Sabalenka/Stephens was announced as the night match on Chatrier the other day several tickets were returned for re-sale. You just ain't gonna force people to pay and watch women's match if they don't think it will be competitive/exciting enough.

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Unfortunately I don't agree with the central premise that most people want to see men's tennis - that was the same argument used to justify lower prize money for women and it wasn't defensible then and isn't defensible now. The popularity of women's sport, including tennis has been growing over the last few years.

That being said, of course there are marquee names in the men's draw who absolutely are a major driver of ticket sales and deserve the prestige of a night match - but I wouldn't say that Zverez was one of those people and I certainly don't believe that Caroline Garcia is not as big a draw as Jannik Sinner. 

I get that some people don't like/want to play at night - but frankly you play when you're told to play. 4 night matches in two and a half years just comes across as a lack of respect for the women's game. 

You can believe whatever you want, but the numbers reflect that. The difference in views across tours is huge. We can discuss about the reasons behind it, though. I don't think is gender oriented, the womens game was more popular in the 90s and early 00s. I think is a combination of disparity between big established stars in both tours in the last few years and also poor management from the WTA. It has been revealed recently that most of the prize money in big tournaments outside slams to achieve "equality" is paid by the WTA itself. If you can't sell your product well you can't expect to get the same treatment. This is business.

i guess Kasktakina did the right thing here , she knows very well that she won't shake hands with her so she just told her that she's fine and doesn't need this from her , just like when some Egyptian athletes face Israeli athletes whom know very well that they won't shake hands with them and just wait for the same reaction Sabalenka waited for , i'm totally against not shaking hands with your opponent , because it's not war it's just sport , but if my opponent disrespects me in one way i won't respect him or her either  

Edited by thepharoah