website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IOC also published a bunch of new information regarding the participation of “individual neutral athletes.”

How will it work to count the medals? so if a Russian wins a gold medal? will there be 2? will this completely distort the final medal ranking?

2 hours ago, thepharoah said:

If a Russian / Belarus wins gold , the 2nd will win silver , but his or her medal won't be shown on Medals Table, another bullshit and humiliation to these athletes . 

Not a humiliation to the athlete.  They get to keep the medal and their name goes into the record books.  It just doesn't get credited to Russia/Belarus.  At the end of the day, is that going to be important to them?  I doubt it.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Not a humiliation to the athlete.  They get to keep the medal and their name goes into the record books.  It just doesn't get credited to Russia/Belarus.  At the end of the day, is that going to be important to them?  I doubt it.

I didn't mean in this case , but other things like he or she won't take part in opening ceremony and staff like that .

And yes raising flag of your country is a dream for any athlete so I guess it would matter for them too 

38 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

I didn't mean in this case , but other things like he or she won't take part in opening ceremony and staff like that .

And yes raising flag of your country is a dream for any athlete so I guess it would matter for them too 

Agreed that hearing your anthem is a big deal and if any AIN athletes win gold, they'll be deprived of that.  Wouldn't necessarily call that humiliating though.  Russia's flag and colors and anthem deserve no place in Paris.  So I'm fine what that aspect of this

Does anyone have any idea who those 12 russians and 7 belarus could be?

I have 12 Russians qualified on my table, but 2 are from athletics (they achieved the quota but WA is not including them). So, the others are: 2 from Road Cycling + 4 in taekwondo + 4 in wrestling

As in Belarus, we have 8 so far: 2 in wrestling + 1 in taekwondo + 1 in rowing + 3 in swimming (but are those already considered quota?) + 1 in road cycling.

Obviously that many of these may have double passports. But with this we would have 18 in total, not considering the athletics. Who else from AIN already got a quota?

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Agreed that hearing your anthem is a big deal and if any AIN athletes win gold, they'll be deprived of that.  Wouldn't necessarily call that humiliating though.  Russia's flag and colors and anthem deserve no place in Paris.  So I'm fine what that aspect of this

They can enter parade of nations under white flag of whatever they will call them and u won't be forced to see Russian and Belarus flags . 

Nothing in Olympics ban athletes from entering opening ceremony and parade of nations , this happens only in a politicial Olympic Games 

3 hours ago, thepharoah said:

They can enter parade of nations under white flag of whatever they will call them and u won't be forced to see Russian and Belarus flags . 

Nothing in Olympics ban athletes from entering opening ceremony and parade of nations , this happens only in a politicial Olympic Games 

No, I don't think that's how this works.  It's not like they can just show up on 1 of the barges carrying athletes as if no one will say anything.

It's unfortunate that Russia has politicized sport.  They started in 2014 at an Olympics they hosted.  This is on them much more than on the IOC.