website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

France winning a medal out of nowhere shows how weak most events in diving are.

Men's 3 m: Two strong chinese + Laugher -> Difficult to win a medal

Men's 10 m: Two strong chinese + maybe Tamai/Sereda -> Difficult, but possible to win a medal

Men's 3 m synchronised: China and GB are strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Men's 10 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams aren't very impressive -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Women's 3 m: Two strong chinese -> Bronze is pretty open

Women's 10 m: Two strong chinese -> Bronze is pretty open

Women's 3 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Women's 10 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too dificult to win a medal

The absence of Russia has opened up a lot of opportunities. Also i have the feeling that Mexico (overall), the US (mainly on the men's side) and GB (mainly on the women's side) used to be stronger. I think if one nation would really focus on it, they could win 5 or 6 "easy" medals in diving. Not sure how many sports there are were you can get 5 or 6 medals that "easily".

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

24 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

The absence of Russia has opened up a lot of opportunities. Also i have the feeling that Mexico (overall), the US (mainly on the men's side) and GB (mainly on the women's side) used to be stronger. I think if one nation would really focus on it, they could win 5 or 6 "easy" medals in diving. Not sure how many sports there are were you can get 5 or 6 medals that "easily".

British women have never been particularly strong in diving - certainly not to the point of challenging for medals. The strength has always been on the men's side - initially on the 10m platform with the likes of Pete Waterfield and Leon Taylor and Tom Daley. In 2012, we then started to see breakthrough on the men's 3m with Chris Mears, and Jack Laugher. The women's team are looking to Andrea Spendolini Sirieix as a big hope for the future

7 hours ago, Josh said:

1-2 :CHN (Shan/Yijie) in women's 1m springboard. Vazquez Montano :MEX after a brilliant final dive, takes bronze. 

Canada 4th :p @intoronto @Topicmaster1010

It wssn’t that good, she was overscored in my opinion in her last dive, yet she did a great competition and should enjoy her medal.

Too bad for Ware not getting the bronze, but again, she only advanced to the final with a little help from the judges, so she should left behind this event and focus on a medal in 3m.

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

France winning a medal out of nowhere shows how weak most events in diving are.

Men's 3 m: Two strong chinese + Laugher -> Difficult to win a medal

Men's 10 m: Two strong chinese + maybe Tamai/Sereda -> Difficult, but possible to win a medal

Men's 3 m synchronised: China and GB are strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Men's 10 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams aren't very impressive -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Women's 3 m: Two strong chinese -> Bronze is pretty open

Women's 10 m: Two strong chinese -> Bronze is pretty open

Women's 3 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too difficult to win a medal

Women's 10 m synchronised: China is strong, but all other teams are rather weak -> Not too dificult to win a medal

I find it not very nice to belittle the French, if the level is so low why then Germany only finished 10th?? in your place I would ask myself the question of understanding how Germany failed to qualify with Timo Barthel who is an excellent diver.

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

I find it not very nice to belittle the French, if the level is so low why then Germany only finished 10th?? in your place I would ask myself the question of understanding how Germany failed to qualify with Timo Barthel who is an excellent diver.

Not sure it makes sense to lead this discussion with you if you feel attacked by someone not praising France ...

Germany won bronze last year with a completely new team, which as well was a clear sign that the field isn't very strong. I don't have to ask myself why Germany didn't qualify. Germany just doesn't have a strong team and i don't remember Barthel ever achieving much in individual competitions. GB (and of course China) are clearly ahead of the rest (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico). If we would contest this competition ten times under the same circumstances, then all of those nations (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico) would probably win bronze at least once, because none of those teams has much consistency. I was also talking about diving as a whole and men's 3 m synchronised is only one out of eight competitions, so this criticism wasn't focused on France, but the general level. It would be nice if you could answer me the following questions?

1) Don't you think that the absence of Russia (and the fact that ukrainian athletes can't prepare optimally) lowered the level?

2) Don't you agree that Mexico and the US used to be stronger in (men's) diving?

3) Don't you think that the dominance of China harmed the sport by creating the impression that it is pretty much impossible for athletes from other nations to win gold?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

7 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure it makes sense to lead this discussion with you if you feel attacked by someone not praising France ...

Germany won bronze last year with a completely new team, which as well was a clear sign that the field isn't very strong. I don't have to ask myself why Germany didn't qualify. Germany just doesn't have a strong team and i don't remember Barthel ever achieving much in individual competitions. GB (and of course China) are clearly ahead of the rest (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico). If we would contest this competition ten times under the same circumstances, then all of those nations (France, Italy, USA, Germany, Mexico) would probably win bronze at least once, because none of those teams has much consistency. I was also talking about diving as a whole and men's 3 m synchronised is only one out of eight competitions, so this criticism wasn't focused on France, but the general level. It would be nice if you could answer me the following questions?

1) Don't you think that the absence of Russia (and the fact that ukrainian athletes can't prepare optimally) lowered the level?

2) Don't you agree that Mexico and the US used to be stronger in (men's) diving?

3) Don't you think that the dominance of China harmed the sport by creating the impression that it is pretty much impossible for athletes from other nations to win gold?

yes since russia no longer participate it allows other nations to win, but I am against the boycott of russia concerning ukraine I don't think it has an impact on their training and anyway many train abroad. and mexico was a strong nation like malaysia or canada but this generation is gone