website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

It's Oscar week, which with each year means less and less with the declining quality in cinema. I will make a push to watch at least some part of the nominated films before the ceremony. So far..

CODA - 9/10 - A rare heartfelt film with true emotion. Simple story, amazing cast and performances, no need for grandeur scenes, bombastic pieces, or the typical awards pretentiousness. Could have watched another 2 hours of it, the people just bring you in, i live their struggles, their dreams, as if i knew them. Must admit i teared up a bit at the final hug. Doubt i'd enjoy a better film than this, so i hope, hope it somehow wins Best Picture.

Dune (Part 1....) - 7/10 - One of my most anticipated films for a number of years. Probably expected too much tbh, as with everything Villeneuve. I really wanted to like it, but, but.. Why do Villeneuve movies have to be so monotonous every time. I know it covers only the first half of the book and they need to lay the groundwork for the characters, but for a long movie, the interesting moments were far in between. Still, cinematography, sound, sets etc. were amazing and will sweep the tech awards, but it's not the grand epic it should have been. 

Licorice Pizza - 6/10 - PTA has had better days. For a comedy i didn't laugh much, was more frustrated, but guess that was the point, showing how young people don't know what they want and do stupid things. Sean Penn and Bradley Cooper being wackjobs stole the show in their limited time. The two leads did an ok job, given it was their first role. I'm more interested to see, what can Alana Haim do in other stuff. As for Philip Seymour Hoffman's son, maybe it would be better, if he finds another career path, don't know, if he can escape the shadow of his father. 

The Power of the Dog - 5/10 - The modern time set in an old time western. Shocking this is the favourite to win (not)... I enjoy a miserable film more, than the regular person, but couldn't find much to like here. Cumberbatch and Dunst's performances saves it from being a complete waste of time, with some good scenery here and there. The dislike for Netflix gives me a little hope, that this won't actually win, otherwise i may barf.. 

The Oscars are this sunday and once again here I am with my annual predictions post. Last year I did okay with 18/23 correct picks, including Best Picture (the first time I got this one right in a long time). 2021 was a great year for cinema, the best in some years, although the selection for the main award doesn't represent that - honestly, the whole International Film category is better than most films selected for Best Picture. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll probably have a very conventional list of winners.

["will win" is my prediction / "could win" is my alternate prediction / "should win" is my personal ranking from what I've watched / "shoud have been nominated" is a way to remember other notable work].

Spoiler

Best Picture

WILL WIN: CODA

COULD WIN: The Power of the Dog

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Power of the Dog; 2. CODA; 3. Dune; 4. Drive My Car; 5. Licorice Pizza; 6. West Side Story; 7. Nightmare Alley; 8. King Richard; 9. Belfast; 10. Don't Look Up.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Worst Person in the World

Directing

WILL WIN: The Power of the Dog, Jane Campion

COULD WIN: Belfast, Kenneth Branagh

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Power of the Dog, Jane Campion; 2. Licorice Pizza, Paul Thomas Anderson; 3. Drive My Car, Ryusuke Hamaguchi; 4. West Side Story, Steven Spielberg; 5. Belfast, Kenneth Branagh.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Denis Villeneuve, Dune

Actor in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Will Smith, King Richard

COULD WIN: Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog

SHOULD WIN: 1. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog; 2. Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick... Boom!; 3. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth; 4. Will Smith, King Richard; 5. Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Nicolas Cage, Pig

Actress in a Leading Role

WILL WIN: Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye

COULD WIN: Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter

SHOULD WIN: 1. Penélope Cruz, Parallel Mothers; 2. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter; 3. Kristen Stewart, Spencer; 4. Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye; 5. Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Renate Reinsve, The Worst Person in the World

Actor in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Troy Kotsur, CODA

COULD WIN: Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

SHOULD WIN: 1. Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog; 2. Troy Kotsur, CODA; 3. Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog; 4. Ciarán Hinds, Belfast; 5. J.K. Simmons, Being the Ricardos.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Anders Danielsen Lie, The Worst Person in the World

Actress in a Supporting Role

WILL WIN: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story

COULD WIN: Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog

SHOULD WIN: 1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog; 2. Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter; 3. Ariana DeBose, West Side Story; 4. Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard; 5. Judi Dench, Belfast.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Ruth Negga, Passing

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

WILL WIN: CODA

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Lost Daughter; 2. The Power of the Dog; 3. Drive My Car; 4. CODA; 5. Dune.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Tick, Tick... Boom!

Writing (Original Screenplay)

WILL WIN: Belfast

COULD WIN: Licorice Pizza

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Worst Person in the World; 2. Licorice Pizza; 3. King Richard; 4. Belfast; 5. Don't Look Up.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Hand of God and Parallel Mothers

Animated Feature Film

WILL WIN: Encanto

COULD WIN: The Mitchells vs. the Machines

SHOULD WIN: 1. Flee; 2. Luca; 3. The Mitchells vs. the Machines; 4. Encanto; 5. Raya and the Last Dragon.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Summit of the Gods

Documentary Feature

WILL WIN: Summer of Soul

COULD WIN: Flee

SHOULD WIN: 1. Flee; 2. Summer of Soul; 3. Ascension; 4. Attica; 5. Writing with Fire.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Procession

International Feature Film

WILL WIN: Drive My Car (Japan)

COULD WIN: The Worst Person in the World (Norway)

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Worst Person in the World (Norway); 2. The Hand of God (Italy); 3. Flee (Denmark); 4. Drive My Car (Japan); 5. Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Bhutan).

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Parallel Mothers (Spain), but inexplicably this wasn't the spanish selection.

Cinematography

WILL WIN: Dune

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Power of the Dog; 2. Dune; 3. The Tragedy of Macbeth; 4. Nightmare Alley; 5. West Side Story.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Spencer

Film Editing

COULD WIN: Tick, Tick... Boom!

SHOULD WIN: 1. Tick, Tick... Boom!; 2. The Power of the Dog; 3. Dune; 4. King Richard; 5. Don't Look Up.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Licorice Pizza

Costume Design

WILL WIN: Cruella

COULD WIN: West Side Story

SHOULD WIN: 1. Cruella; 2. Dune; 3. Nightmare Alley; 4. West Side Story; 5. Cyrano.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The French Dispatch

Production Design

COULD WIN: Nightmare Alley

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dune; 2. Nightmare Alley; 3. The Power of the Dog; 4. The Tragedy of Macbeth; 5. West Side Story.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The French Dispatch

Makeup and Hairstyling

WILL WIN: The Eyes of Tammy Faye

COULD WIN: Cruella

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dune; 2. The Eyes of Tammy Faye; 3. Cruella; 4. House of Gucci; 5. Coming 2 America.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Titane

Music (Original Score)

SHOULD WIN: 1. The Power of the Dog; 2. Parallel Mothers; 3. Dune; 4. Encanto; 5. Don't Look Up.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: Luca

Music (Original Song)

WILL WIN: "No Time to Die", No Time to Die

COULD WIN: "Be Alive", King Richard

SHOULD WIN: 1. "Dos Oruguitas", Encanto; 2. "No Time to Die", No Time to Die; 3. "Be Alive", King Richard; 4. "Somehow You Do", Four Good Days; 5. "Down to Joy", Belfast.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: "Beyond the Shore", CODA

Sound

COULD WIN: West Side Story

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dune; 2. The Power of the Dog; 3. West Side Story; 4. No Time to Die; 5. Belfast.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Tragedy of Macbeth

Visual Effects

COULD WIN: Spider-Man: No Way Home

SHOULD WIN: 1. Dune; 2. Free Guy; 3. No Time to Die. Not watched: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings; Spider-Man: No Way Home.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED: The Matrix Resurrections

Short Film (Animated)

WILL WIN: Robin Robin

COULD WIN: Bestia

SHOULD WIN: 1. Bestia; 2. Robin Robin; 3. Affairs of the Art; 4. The Windshield Wiper; 5. Boxballet.

Short Film (Documentary)

WILL WIN: The Queen of Basketball

COULD WIN: Audible

SHOULD WIN: 1. Audible; 2. The Queen of Basketball; 3. Three Songs for Benazir; 4. Lead Me Home; 5. When We Were Bullies.

Short Film (Live Action)

WILL WIN: The Long Goodbye

COULD WIN: The Dress

SHOULD WIN: 1. Ala Kachuu - Take and Run; 2. The Dress; 3. Please Hold; 4. On My Mind; 5. The Long Goodbye.

I still have some non-nominated films to watch, but if I was a Oscar voter, this would be my top 10 (alphabetic order):

CODA
Drive My Car
Dune
Flee
The Hand of God
The Lost Daughter
Parallel Mothers
Pig
The Power of the Dog
The Worst Person in the World

I have enjoyed Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car this year. Especially Licorice Pizza which went above and beyond any expectations. They are the two highlights.

Too bad, but not surprising, that they will be getting snubbed. Even if Drive My Car takes the International category.

Meanwhile, I just don't get the hype around the dread that was Worst Person in the World. :lol: Saw it ways back at the Zagreb Film Festival and didn't like it. It was actually one of like two films which got no applause at the end of the projection. :p

Unlike previous years, I didn't really follow the nominations much. Haven't seen either The Power of the Dog or CODA. And I don't really plan to based on... everything.

#banbestmen

The Power of the Dog is a beautiful movie and I really appreciate how well it's made and how good all the performances are. Just found it dreadfully boring.

I have only seen six of the best picture nominees (CODA, Don't Look Up, Dune, Drive my Car, Power of the Dog and West Side Story). Would personally give it to Drive my Car, but it's quite clearly going to be either CODA or The Power of the Dog. CODA is definitively the movie I enjoyed the most between those two.

Dune deserves to clean up in the technical awards.

3 hours ago, dcro said:

I have enjoyed Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car this year. Especially Licorice Pizza which went above and beyond any expectations. They are the two highlights.

Too bad, but not surprising, that they will be getting snubbed. Even if Drive My Car takes the International category.

Meanwhile, I just don't get the hype around the dread that was Worst Person in the World. :lol: Saw it ways back at the Zagreb Film Festival and didn't like it. It was actually one of like two films which got no applause at the end of the projection. :p

Unlike previous years, I didn't really follow the nominations much. Haven't seen either The Power of the Dog or CODA. And I don't really plan to based on... everything.

I didn't watch it but just wanted to point out that literally nobody I know who watched it liked Licorice Pizza.

Never seen so much concensus on one movie inside my social circle lol

No clue if they are all being snobish or got bored or what (I vaguely know what the movie is about), just that fact caught my attention.

I actually managed to see five (CODA, Dune, King Richard, Don’t Look Up, and Power of the Dog) of the films nominated for Best Picture this year. I was hoping to bump that up to eight over the weekend, but I just wasn’t feeling a lot of the films this year. I definitely want to watch Drive My Car and Belfast at some point though.

I honestly wouldn’t describe any of the nominees I’ve seen as groundbreaking, phenomenal cinema. That said, I thought CODA, King Richard, and Dune were solid, easily enjoyable films (definitely worth a watch if you get the chance). My ranking for the five films I did see would be:

1. CODA 2. Dune 3. King Richard 4. Power of the Dog 5. Don’t Look Up

I wasn’t able to finish Power of the Dog, and Don’t Look Up was to “on the nose” for me. I think the acting and camera work in Power of the Dog was superb. It just definitely wasn’t for me.

The only other film mentioned on here that I saw was The Hand of God. Like @vinipereira I would have nominated it as well. I was quite shocked it wasn’t nominated.

Edit: Oh, I should also add that I was furious The Summit of Gods was not nominated for best animated film. Beautiful storytelling and animation. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela