website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Japan really got screwed by the one film per nation rule at the Oscars. I haven’t seen Perfect Days yet, but Monster seems to be getting a surprising amount of love from U.S. viewers. I saw it last week and thought it was one of the best films of the year. Unfortunately, Japan had a very competitive year in film. Two big festival/critical hits, a favorite for animated film (along with a sleeper pick), and a well regarded action movie. I don’t envy the people who had to make that call.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...

I attended my first film festival this week. It was a pretty neat experience. I got the chance to see a lot of international films that were on my list to see. I'm not sure how it compares to others internationally, but I thought it was pretty well organized/programed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Four Daughters won the jury award for best international film at the film festival I attended. I’d seen the documentary before hand and quite liked it (I gave it 4/5 stars).

My favorite from the festival was The Teacher’s Lounge.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:28 PM, Olympian1010 said:

Japan really got screwed by the one film per nation rule at the Oscars. I haven’t seen Perfect Days yet, but Monster seems to be getting a surprising amount of love from U.S. viewers. I saw it last week and thought it was one of the best films of the year. Unfortunately, Japan had a very competitive year in film. Two big festival/critical hits, a favorite for animated film (along with a sleeper pick), and a well regarded action movie. I don’t envy the people who had to make that call.

Agreed. Monster and Perfect Days are both among my favorite movies this year and I haven't even seen The Boy and The Heron and Godzilla Minus One yet. Sadly, in the end I think Japan might even miss the nomination for best International Feature.

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

Agreed. Monster and Perfect Days are both among my favorite movies this year and I haven't even seen The Boy and The Heron and Godzilla Minus One yet. Sadly, in the end I think Japan might even miss the nomination for best International Feature.

It’ll be close I think. It’s just such a great year in film. Many countries with more than one worthy film. 

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’ll be close I think. It’s just such a great year in film. Many countries with more than one worthy film. 

Didn't know that "Perfect Days" was the japanese entry, given that it was made by a german director. Would have been better to enter it for Germany and to allow Japan to enter "Monster".

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Didn't know that "Perfect Days" was the japanese entry, given that it was made by a german director. Would have been better to enter it for Germany and to allow Japan to enter "Monster".

Germany already has the critically beloved The Teacher’s Lounge as it entry (which also made the shortlist). I think they made the right choice there.

The “nationality” of films is a weird subject. The one film per nation rule benefits some (Cote D’Ivoire and Bhutan for instance), but complicates the process for other’s. Plus, many films have multiple nations attached to their production. 

I like this list aside from Killers of the Flower Moon. I would have replaced that film with one of The Zone of Interest, All of Us Strangers, Rye Lane (especially considering this is the BAFTA).

Society of the Snow just picked up my second five star rating of the year. Two more films to get through before the Oscar nominations announcement tomorrow :fingers:

Oscar nominations will be announced in a few hours, so here are my picks for Best Picture if it was up to me (in no particular order):

- Past Lives

- Society of the Snow

- The Teacher's Lounge

- Oppenheimer

- Poor Things

- Anatomy of a Fall

- The Holdovers

- Rye Lane

- The Zone of Interest

- Barbie

Films that are right on the bubble in my selection (it was very hard to choose only ten):

- All of Us Strangers

- Monster

- Earth Mama

The only "major" contenders I haven't seen are Maestro and The Color Purple. There also some other international films and indie films that I'd like to see before fully settling on my best of the year list.