website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

21 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Huge 159+ score for :MEX women’s team in qualification. 

I’m aware :BRA  :CAN  :USA  didn’t send their stars for this competition, but this gives me some hope for a team medal at Santiago and the chance to actually contest an Olympic quota    

Congrats. The score definitely puts them in contention for Olympic qualification

• 2 months later...

Iran sent 3 gymnastics to Chengdu but only 1 of them is on the startlist because the other 2 guys need their licences to be renewed. (what the hell is that?) which doesn't happen. because FIG still recognizes the old president of Iran Gym. federation and that lady is facing some charges and the sport ministry doesn't work with her (for stealing money or something) FIG only accepts documents from her and she doesn't send a thing. as simple as that. for that reason Iran didn't participate at the Asian Champs and also won't participate (most probably) at the Worlds. 

Universiade has a different registration system, therefore Iran could participate but then this licence thing happened :wall: which means also no Asian Games for them (unless a solution emerges) and this is happening when we have couple of gymnastics who can be competitive in world competitions for the first time :(

personally I don't know who is right or who is wrong. and I don't even care. I only care about the athletes. it's just a battle between some corrupt individuals but FIG is taking side and that's disgusting. weren't they supposed to be on the side of the athletes? :mad: Iran gymnastics is in this turmoil for 2 years for this reason and FIG simply doesn't care, they just want their curropt friend back. (only temporarily Iranians were allowed to compete for few months early 2023)

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

because the other 2 guys need their licences to be renewed. (what the hell is that?)

A normal thing in sports as far as I know. For example every.... year (?) or so I hear Bruna about how she needs to fill in some document for the national federation to renew her FIS license. Standard procedure really, unless there are some major issues at the federation level....as seems to be the case in Iran's gymnastics federation, judging by what you wrote. With of course the athletes ending up the victims of that, as per usual when federations (or whoever at that kind of organizational level) mess stuff up :( 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

A normal thing in sports as far as I know. For example every.... year (?) or so I hear Bruna about how she needs to fill in some document for the national federation to renew her FIS license. Standard procedure really, unless there are some major issues at the federation level....as seems to be the case in Iran's gymnastics federation, judging by what you wrote. With of course the athletes ending up the victims of that, as per usual when federations (or whoever at that kind of organizational level) mess stuff up :( 

yeah looks like there are some normal things nobody talks about since they are too obvious! :d

for gymnastics apparently it's 2 years. and we have just 1 guy left with a valid licence ! (don't know for how long) 

personally I'm more angry on FIG, because I thought this is their only job to protect and defend the athletes. but it's like they say "goodbye, call us whenever our friend is back" 

• 1 month later...

In ireland , she didn't give her medal because she is black 

She is just a girl , she didnt tane herself ....the Irish federation should be ban forever 

Isn't Simone biles the best one in the world 

Edited by Sindo

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Decent chance :GBR won’t win more than one medal in Paris which would probably cause a major funding cut (Lottery funding is rapidly falling.) and a removal of :GBR as a major gymnastics player, 

Whilst disappointing, I don't think Gadirova's injury will fundamentally shift the needle for British Gymnastics going into Paris. They will still be set a target of 3-5 medals across the artistic, rhythmic and trampoline disciplines. Within artistic, even without Gadirova, they will have realistic medal chances with the men's team, Whitlock on pommel, Jarman on vault, Tulloch on rings and even an outside chance at an all-around medal from Joe Fraser. Obviously a lot depends on how the winter goes, but GB Gymnastics will be thinking they are in a good place going into Paris.

In terms of funding, I'm not sure what you've based the assertion that lottery funding is rapidly falling. Financial support from UK Sport for the Paris Olympic cycle amounts to 241mln which is a significant increase on the 221mln awarded going into Tokyo. In addition to the funding of the national federations, there is around an additional 60mln of funding which is given directly to athletes. 

Looking at gymnastics specifically, they have received 13.3mln going into Paris - up from 13.2mln ahead of Tokyo. Assuming that the GB team does fall short of their target, whilst they would expect a funding cut, it is unlikely to be major and I'd still expect it to be in the region of 12.5-13mln. One of the biggest factors counting against major funding cuts is the need to address and implement the findings of the Whyte review.