website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Chess has its own olympiade, cant imagine adding it to the olympic roster. 

Plus, all those mind games are just impossible to watch, at least live. 

I think there are some innovative things that could be done with chess and broadcast technology. It’s arguably one of the most popular and well played sports not on the program.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, TeamGB said:

But does chess encompass any of the Olympic values. 

It's certainly not Fast(er)

It isn't Higher

You don't have to be physically Strong(er)

And it's not a team sport so you are not together.

Well you could go for speed chess - that would make it faster

You could play it standing up - higher

And you could use weighted pieces ranging from 1Kg to 25Kg to make it stronger.

I think our German fencer friend at the head of the IOC could totally be persuaded of its merits. 

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Well you could go for speed chess - that would make it faster

You could play it standing up - higher

And you could use weighted pieces ranging from 1Kg to 25Kg to make it stronger.

I think our German fencer friend at the head of the IOC could totally be persuaded of its merits. 

If you want "stronger", there's also chess boxing - which might very well replace regular boxing. win-win ;) 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think there are some innovative things that could be done with chess and broadcast technology. It’s arguably one of the most popular and well played sports not on the program.

I was watching Olympic eSports Chess at the weekend.  It was deeply weird.  Fair enough, they started with a global tournament for 10,000 players over the internet.  Then out of all those they brought 10 people to play in person in :SGP.  Obviously a nice reward for them.  And then they sat them down in front of thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment to play a game of chess, although they were all literally in the same room and indeed played at the same table.  :roflmao:

Edited by Grassmarket

5 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Crazy raining in Poland actually, I haven't idea if the skeet events could be done or if we'll have a delay 

It was much worse in San Salvador last night, and they were still holding events, so I guess it should be fine :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela