website statistics

Rugby Sevens WR Challenger Series 2023

Totallympics

:TGA:RSA won.  

Is men's World Series next season going to have 12 team tournaments (ala Olympics) or they stay with 16 teams but with just 12 of them being core teams?

Edited by LDOG

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

Is men's World Series next season going to have 12 team tournaments (ala Olympics) or they stay with 16 teams but with just 12 of them being core teams?

They will be 12 team tournaments

I'm still hoping for a proper 2nd division series, but I know the reason for the contraction is due to costs and a second division series would be held at a loss.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

They will be 12 team tournaments

I'm still hoping for a proper 2nd division series, but I know the reason for the contraction is due to costs and a second division series would be held at a loss.

Well, I don't think it's too bad. What is the W-L record of teams like Kenya, Japan, Canada this season? Something like 5-45? 

Few years ago they were always decent but now they seemingly can't challenge anyone. We already saw Wales and Scotland getting cut after basically losing every game they played.   

It's like sevens is becoming less and less competitive every year (or have the top teams improved too much?).

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Well, I don't think it's too bad. What is the W-L record of teams like Kenya, Japan, Canada this season? Something like 5-45? 

Few years ago they were always decent but now they seemingly can't challenge anyone. We already saw Wales and Scotland getting cut after basically losing every game they played.   

It's like sevens is becoming less and less competitive every year (or have the top teams improved too much?).

The affects of COVID on sport still lingers. This season does show a stark difference between the top 10 and the rest of the teams. I'm not sure if this will continue or if it's a blip. What doesn't help is reducing game experience for the lower teams or else we turn into cricket where the rich get richer. As I said I'm okay with a robust 2nd division, but I'm not seeing that either.

45 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Difficult to say. For a country like :TGA they definitely have the players to be amongst the best, but all their best are playing pro Rugby League in Britain & Australia, so Sevens is a luxury they can’t afford.

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Reducing the number of teams that get to compete at a high level isn't going to improve the situation. If anything it will further increase the gap.

8 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Reducing the number of teams that get to compete at a high level isn't going to improve the situation. If anything it will further increase the gap.

I know this coming from a nation that has perennial token participation in several team sports: losing 3 million games to top teams doesn't make you any better. Work on grassroots level and internal competition are much more decisive factors.   

Once that is in place, victories at higher levels come by themselves and after that the right to be part of the elite of the sport in question.

Groups for the second and final leg have been decided

Men

Pool A

:TGA Tonga

:ITA Italy

:CHI Chile

:JAM Jamaica

Pool B

:GER Germany

:UGA Uganda

:BRA Brazil

:KOR South Korea

Pool C

:HKG Hong Kong

:BEL Belgium

:ZIM Zimbabwe

:PNG Papua New Guinea

Women

Pool D

:RSA South Africa

:THA Thailand

:MAD Madagascar

:PAR Paraguay

Pool E

:BEL Belgium

:CZE Czechia

:COL Colombia

:PNG Papua New Guinea

Pool F

:CHN China

:POL Poland

:HKG Hong Kong

:MEX Mexico

As seeding is done via the results from the first tournament, the pools are a lot more balanced.