website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

I think these are all very exciting choices. With cricket and football, it’s the first time the top 10 most viewed global sports will all be at the Olympics (in some form). It’ll be unprecedented. And removing breakdancing was the right call.

I can’t help but think about how confusing cricket will be to everyone in the Czech Republic 😋 I don’t even know the rules myself…

I don’t like that we are getting even more discount spin-off versions of popular sports (lacrosse 6s, flag football). Hurts the prestige of the Games IMO especially since they are barely developed at a high level

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

The bottom line is cricket only has like 5-6 countries that can play this sport at elite level. And West Indies wouldn't qualify for OG anyway. What's the point of having blow out games at this level? All this talk about diversity @ Olympics and they choose one of the least diverse sport there is. Other than former British Empire colonies this sport has gained zero traction across the world. Even baseball is more diverse despite the all too-predictable USA vs Japan WBC final almost each time.

Something like one in five human lives in the Indian subcontinent, I think it’s pretty reasonable for :IND:PAK:BAN:SRI to get one sport. Plenty of very Eurocentric and East-Asia centric sports in the Olympics already (and the addition of Lacrosse and Flag Football is *very* North America centric - and heck we even have a sport that is dominated by tiny Oceania!).

Edited by NearPup

12 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Plenty of very Eurocentric and East-Asia centric sports in the Olympics already (and the addition of Lacrosse and Flag Football is *very* North America centric - and heck we even have a sport that is dominated by tiny Oceania!).

Yeah, it’s interesting to see all the Europeans complaining about diversity when the program was shaped by their interests and strengths for basically a century.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, it’s interesting to see all the Europeans complaining about diversity when the program was shaped by their interests and strengths for basically a century.

It reminds me of when Europeans complain about baseball's inclusion because only certain countries bother with it.  Yes, and fencing, show jumping and rhythmic gymnastics is practiced on the streets of every major metropolitan center outside your continent....

The Subcontinent has so few sporting bones to pick at, cricket is the least the IOC can provide. There's enough competition to justify a tournament and it will get millions of eyeballs.  

Now let's get back to mocking the truly ridiculous, like breaking and flag football.  

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but apparently sport climbing is out? That was by far my favorite of the new sports and a really great addition to the Olympic Programme. It surprises me as well, cause climbing is practiced a lot in the US and everywhere. Just a huge missed opportunity if climbing gets dropped honestly. This sport deserves 3 seperate medals for speed, lead and boulder.

2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but apparently sport climbing is out? That was by far my favorite of the new sports and a really great addition to the Olympic Programme. It surprises me as well, cause climbing is practiced a lot in the US and everywhere. Just a huge missed opportunity if climbing gets dropped honestly. This sport deserves 3 seperate medals for speed, lead and boulder.

Climbing still there, I think it became a permanent sport. very nice one and fits in the olympic program in my opinion too.

1 minute ago, El Analyzer said:

Climbing still there, I think it became a permanent sport. very nice one and fits in the olympic program in my opinion too.

That would be great! Maybe the Dutch NOS article was just confusing in its wording then, they mentioned it was picked by the hosts Tokyo and Paris but was not on LA's list as a host. If it becomes permanent that's still technically correct I guess. I hope you're right and I just misread it, thank you!

5 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

That would be great! Maybe the Dutch NOS article was just confusing in its wording then, they mentioned it was picked by the hosts Tokyo and Paris but was not on LA's list as a host. If it becomes permanent that's still technically correct I guess. I hope you're right and I just misread it, thank you!

Twenty-eight sports included in youth-focused LA28 Initial Sports Programme - Olympic News (olympics.com)

here you are, originally they were proposed as replacement for Weightlifting, Boxing and Modern Pentathlon, but if the three with the great heritage reinstated it doesn't mean they will drop surfing, climbing and skateboarding as they became part of the core program. 

15 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

No, sport climbing was included on the provisional sports program by the IOC. Sports Climbing, Skateboarding, and Surfing are basically all main program sports now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

It reminds me of when Europeans complain about baseball's inclusion because only certain countries bother with it.  Yes, and fencing, show jumping and rhythmic gymnastics is practiced on the streets of every major metropolitan center outside your continent....

The Subcontinent has so few sporting bones to pick at, cricket is the least the IOC can provide. There's enough competition to justify a tournament and it will get millions of eyeballs.  

Now let's get back to mocking the truly ridiculous, like breaking and flag football.  

It was also very funny to see all the pearl clutching over a lack of diversity in surfing.

Amusing fact: surfing is the only Olympic sport where North America, South America, Africa, Asia and Oceania have all won medals but Europe hasn’t. And that’s after awarding just six medals…

Edited by NearPup