website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

7 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Modern pentathlon is a sport that has almost nothing going for it other than it’s legacy (bonus points for it being Egypt’s best Olympic sport).

It’s a sport that adds so little value it had it’s own tier the last time the IOC did a cost-benefit analysis.

I would be sorry to see it go, although it's 'niche' is now filled adequately by Triathlon in my opinion. Losing the equestrian bit rather removes its reason for existing in my view, but a sport in which sheer bad luck, and a **** of a horse, can have such a devastating part seems like a sport that speaks to life in a way other pursuits that always reward "the best", don't.

20 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I would be sorry to see it go, although it's 'niche' is now filled adequately by Triathlon in my opinion. Losing the equestrian bit rather removes its reason for existing in my view, but a sport in which sheer bad luck, and a **** of a horse, can have such a devastating part seems like a sport that speaks to life in a way other pursuits that always reward "the best", don't.

I’m won’t be happy to see modern pentathlon dropped, but it’s just hard to justify it being an Olympic sport at this point imo, and I think it has the weakest case for inclusion among every sports that are in the Olympics currently, have been optional sports or are considered as optional sports for 2028.

7 hours ago, Dragon said:

Report in "The Times" in London

They also reported Tokyo 2020 would be cancelled in early 2021. Their record on Olympics “exclusives” isn’t great. They might be right here (who knows), but I’ve been burned before by them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I thought LA 2028 prefers baseball-softball, flag-football and maybe lacrosse because they are more popular than cricket in the USA. But if they take cricket than lacrosse that means additional sport concept works more from what the IOC wants than the home country.

7 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Archery was one of the first events in the Olympics - which of higher, faster, stronger is it?

I agree the subjectivity and arbitrariness of Breaking is a bad look - it is not Olympics ready, in my honest opinion. The gymnastics set have tried hard to move toward a code of points that has a focus on objective criteria - there's no reason skateboard and BMX freestyle cannot follow suit. Surf is in the same place as breaking - not ready, not sufficiently objective.

I have no comment to make on dancing horses as sport.

I think precision sports can be classified as a broader interpretation of "stronger" (to be intended that in those sports you have to be "mentally stronger" than your opponent to beat him/her)

for what concerns skateboarding and all the other artistic sports, you've already got the point: if artistic gymnastics and diving already have a clear set of codes and rules to help the judges to be (theoretically, only theoretically) fair in their job and help the audience to understand at first sight (almost, at least) which move/exercise is more difficult (and deserves to be evaluated with a higher score) than another, why the other disciplines of the same kind haven't yet?

imho, it's fair to say that they shouldn't be on the Olympic program at least until they get some basic fair set of codes like artistic gymnastics and diving...then, we can discuss about what deserves to be in and what not

I can confirm cricket is pretty much invisible in Southern California. The only time I’ve seen people was at my university, and at mother’s alma mater. When it comes to non-Olympic team sports, there is a much larger following for lacrosse and ultimate frisbee.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I thought LA 2028 prefers baseball-softball, flag-football and maybe lacrosse because they are more popular than cricket in the USA. But if they take cricket than lacrosse that means additional sport concept works more from what the IOC wants than the home country.

And more of that it will be ridiculous if the local organizers will pay for additional athletes quota with sport they don't want (if it is required, of course)

9 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

We already knew that, didn't we ?

Sport climbing, skateboard and Surfing all had been picked up both Japan and France and later IOC added them as core sport. co-incidence ? :d absolutely not.

IOC probably made some compromises with Japan by adding Karate and Baseball/Softball but I don't think Breaking was france's first choice. that was Tommy B's personal project.

Edited by MHSN

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

We already knew that, didn't we ?

Sport climbing, skateboard and Surfing all had been picked up both Japan and France and later IOC added them as core sport. co-incidence ? :d absolutely not.

IOC probably made some compromises with Japan by adding Karate and Baseball/Softball but I don't think Breaking was france's first choice. that was Tommy B's personal project.

Yes, but if we don't have petanque in the game I think we can't say what will be France's first choice. In the LA case we can say confidently that in the list there are much more preferred sports for organizers than cricket.

Edited by Dmitry

Coming from NZ where cricket is only popular among the private schools and upper class snobs, I don't feel it warrants a place in the Olympics. For the mere fact that cricket has a lot of corruption particularly match fixing. There's actually nothing wrong with the nuances of the game if you can sit for a 5 day test but I feel as a purest who actually enjoys test cricket and not really a fan of T20, cricket in the Olympics just wouldn't sit well.