website statistics

Taekwondo Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

43 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

But, I truly believes that IOC runs a check with UN to see if all are considered refugees officially.

All 36 athletes on the team have refugee status in their host nations, verified by the United Nations High Commission for Refugees.

Link: https://olympics.com/en/news/ioc-refugee-olympic-team-paris-2024-announced-formed-of-36-athletes

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, Pasolini said:

I get it. To me, the idea of the EOR is to take athletes that have no more connection with their country of passport.

In Brazil we have many athletes that live abroad for many years/decades but still represent Brazil. Some changed countries (to Portugal, Lebanon, etc) and now for the first time we had someone applying to be refugee (2 girls on weighlifting). many people don't take them seriously but we never know what happened to them, so who knows.

Obviously some athletes might try to profit from that, but for me it's the same as someone changing nationality and it's not a real issue.

But, I truly believes that IOC runs a check with UN to see if all are considered refugees officially.

I'm sure they are all officially registered as refugee. 

but the majority of them are not real refugees. they mostly move to a western country for economical reasons. (normal immigration, where they keep visiting the original country) but then later register themselves as refugee to take advantage of the situation. I mean who doesn't want a free ride to the Olympics. to be there, having fun. 

The quota of Abbasi is reallocated to the bronze medalist of the Asian Qualifier, which is :HKG, and this is the first time Hong Kong athletes participate in taekwondo 
And one more invitational quota of refugee team is gone to another refugee Al Ghotani 

What a whirlwind on how they handled Abbasi's quota.

Technically, the quota goes to the NOC so EOR could have chosen someone else, but Al Ghotani didn't reach the minimum athlete requirement so was not eligible. However, since the IOC has the power to create quotas they decided to decline the original quota and then create a new one.

Obviously this smells like a backroom deal was made. I mean at this point, why even let the refugees attempt to qualify if they are going to nominate whoever they want.

32 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Obviously this smells like a backroom deal was made. I mean at this point, why even let the refugees attempt to qualify if they are going to nominate whoever they want.

It's absurd.

I'm the biggest refugee team defender in the world, I update their wikipedia pages and things like that, but I still fail tu understand how it works. Like, Cindy Ngamba wins a quota in the World Boxing qualifier, forfeiting the chance of another athlete getting the quota, but she still needs to get an invitation for it? If she already qualified, why? For that, dont allow refugees compiting in quialifiers and name yourself the team.

It's the same with the Marathon guy. He's going to qualify via World Ranking stealing other runners place when he's already qualified to the Olympics. Its absurd.

56 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

What a whirlwind on how they handled Abbasi's quota.

Technically, the quota goes to the NOC so EOR could have chosen someone else, but Al Ghotani didn't reach the minimum athlete requirement so was not eligible. However, since the IOC has the power to create quotas they decided to decline the original quota and then create a new one.

I think Al Ghotany is still given the invitational places to Olympics for Refugee Olympic Team :IOC since his name is included in the athlete list in Refugee Olympic Team. But the quota given to him is an invitational quota but not the quota from Asian Qualifier. And the Asian Qualifier quota is given to :HKG. So one more quota is given out.

I think the reason why Abbasi is not given the quota is because he is not a real refugee so the quota taken by the Refugee Olympic Team is disqualified since the athlete is not eligible for the NOC. So a reallocation is given to the bronze medalist but an invitational quota is still given to Refugee Team