website statistics

[POLL] Which Nations will be in the Medal Count Top 10 at the Summer Paralympic Games 2020?

vinipereira

[POLL] Which Nations will be in the Medal Count Top 10 at the Summer Paralympic Games 2020?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Nations will be in the Medal Count Top 10 at the Summer Paralympic Games 2020?

• Australia
    • Brazil
    • Canada
    • China
    • France
    • Germany
    • Great Britain
    • Iran
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Netherlands
    • New Zealand
    • Poland
    • Russian Paralympic Committee
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Ukraine
    • United States
    • Uzbekistan
    • Other option

This poll is closed to new votes

My predictions for top 10:

1 :CHN
2 :RPC
3 :GBR
4 :USA
5 :UKR
6 :AUS
7 :NED
8 :ITA
9 :GER
10 :BRA

:CHN gets first position at the medal table since 2004, so their place is secured, but :RUS is back (as RPC of course) with probably their best team ever (?), so I expect them to "steal" some of the golds other big nations won in their 2016 absence. They'll have a good fight with :GBR, which since 2000 always figure in the top 3 positions, and this time maybe can even maintain the second place.

About :USA and :UKR it could go either way, both are very consistent and finish at the top 5 in almost every recent edition. I gave United States the edge because Ukraine has fewer athletes this time. I could change the order of the top 5 nations, but for me this are the most likely to end ahead of the competition.

:AUS could potentially challenge for top 5 as they have a good variety of medalling sports, but their results in Athletics and Swimming (obviously the two sports that give most medals) aren't that great. Either way, they should at least get 6th place ahead of :NED, :ITA, :GER and :BRA which are close in medal chances. Netherlands is strong in Cycling and Swimming, Italy in Swimming (amazing results at the most recent world championships), Germany in Cycling and Athletics, and Brazil in a few sports. I think Netherlands will pull ahead because they are clearly in an ascending curve when it comes to Paralympics, but Brazil could challenge for 8th and show the "legacy" of the Rio Games.

A slew of nations could challenge for top 10 though. :POL was top 10 in the last two editions and of course could repeat the feat. :FRA is consistent and could show the improvement ahead of their own Games. :ESP, :CAN, :NZL, :KOR, :IRI and :UZB didn't reach the top 10 in London and Rio, but with some luck at the gold medal count maybe will. And of course there's :JPN which didn't get a single gold medal in Rio and it's in a decline since their best result in 2004. The addition of new sports should help a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reach top 10 (the first hosts since Greece to do so). I really don't know what to expect from them but maybe they'll do amazing like at the Olympics.

55 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

About :USA and :UKR it could go either way, both are very consistent and finish at the top 5 in almost every recent edition. I gave United States the edge because Ukraine has fewer athletes this time. I could change the order of the top 5 nations, but for me this are the most likely to end ahead of the competition

Because we didn't qualified in sitting volleyball) I also think , that we would be fifth in medal table

On 8/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, vinipereira said:

After 4 days we have the same top 6 of my predictions (just swap Great Britain and RPC), with Brazil, Netherlands and Italy also in the top 10.

Only surprise is :AZE in 7th but most of their medals are from Judo, so I don't know how long they can hold this position. Also Germany didn't win a single gold medal so far, and even though they can improve in the next days, I don't know anymore if they'll reach top 10 (which would be the first time they're out since 2008). Japan with 2 gold medals and 15th place so far might be looking for top 10.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:50 PM, vinipereira said:

:CHN gets first position at the medal table since 2004, so their place is secured, but :RUS is back (as RPC of course) with probably their best team ever (?), so I expect them to "steal" some of the golds other big nations won in their 2016 absence. They'll have a good fight with :GBR, which since 2000 always figure in the top 3 positions, and this time maybe can even maintain the second place.

About :USA and :UKR it could go either way, both are very consistent and finish at the top 5 in almost every recent edition. I gave United States the edge because Ukraine has fewer athletes this time. I could change the order of the top 5 nations, but for me this are the most likely to end ahead of the competition.

:AUS could potentially challenge for top 5 as they have a good variety of medalling sports, but their results in Athletics and Swimming (obviously the two sports that give most medals) aren't that great. Either way, they should at least get 6th place ahead of :NED, :ITA, :GER and :BRA which are close in medal chances. Netherlands is strong in Cycling and Swimming, Italy in Swimming (amazing results at the most recent world championships), Germany in Cycling and Athletics, and Brazil in a few sports. I think Netherlands will pull ahead because they are clearly in an ascending curve when it comes to Paralympics, but Brazil could challenge for 8th and show the "legacy" of the Rio Games.

A slew of nations could challenge for top 10 though. :POL was top 10 in the last two editions and of course could repeat the feat. :FRA is consistent and could show the improvement ahead of their own Games. :ESP, :CAN, :NZL, :KOR, :IRI and :UZB didn't reach the top 10 in London and Rio, but with some luck at the gold medal count maybe will. And of course there's :JPN which didn't get a single gold medal in Rio and it's in a decline since their best result in 2004. The addition of new sports should help a little, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't reach top 10 (the first hosts since Greece to do so). I really don't know what to expect from them but maybe they'll do amazing like at the Olympics.

GB have been in the top three at every Games since 1960 bar 1976, 1980 and 1996. Repeatedly second and destined now never to be first given China's recent hegemony. :(

Medals by Summer GamesEdit

Games Athletes Gold Silver Bronze Total Rank
Italy 1960 Rome 53 20 15 20 55 2
Japan 1964 Tokyo 39 18 23 20 61 2
Israel 1968 Tel Aviv 75 29 20 20 69 2
Germany 1972 Heidelberg 72 16 15 21 52 3
Canada 1976 Toronto 87 29 29 36 94 5
Netherlands 1980 Arnhem 96 47 32 21 100 5
United KingdomUnited States 1984 Stoke Mandeville/New York 227 107 112 112 331 2
South Korea 1988 Seoul 231 65 65 53 183 3
Spain 1992 Barcelona 209 40 47 41 128 3
United States 1996 Atlanta 248 39 42 41 122 4
Australia 2000 Sydney 215 41 43 47 131 2
Greece 2004 Athens 167 35 30 29 94 2
China 2008 Beijing 212 42 29 31 102 2
United Kingdom 2012 London 288 34 43 43 120 3
Brazil 2016 Rio de Janeiro 265 64 39 44 147 2
Japan 2020 Tokyo 227          
France 2024 Paris future event
United States 2028 Los Angeles future event
Australia 2032 Brisbane future event
Total 626 584 579 1789 2

12 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

GB have been in the top three at every Games since 1960 bar 1976, 1980 and 1996. Repeatedly second and destined now never to be first given China's recent hegemony. :(

When 107 golds are only good for second place but they really had over 900 medal events back then. Wow. 

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

17 hours ago, Quasit said:

When 107 golds are only good for second place but they really had over 900 medal events back then. Wow. 

1984 was an oddity with the event held jointly either side of the Atlantic and this perhaps partly explains why the number of events were so much greater than any Games before or since. Added to which most of the Eastern bloc boycotted the Paralympics just as they had the LA Olympics.