website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vinipereira

5 hours ago, Makedonas said:

http://sportsfeed.gr/apokleistiko-kanonika-i-ellada/

According to this which was posted 5 minutes ago, FINA acknowledged that it was an error on their end and the Greek relay teams for men's 4x100 medley and mixed 4x100 medley will be going to Tokyo. I'm assuming this also means that Dimitrios Markos goes through in the men's 800m freestyle.

What a mess. FINA should just allow 17 teams to compete and let Ireland and Switzerland send their teams since it was their mistake. Might be more difficult because these are relay events, but a similar mistake happened in 2016. Greek swimmer Kristel Vourna was given an invitation to Rio because she reached the OST for 100m butterfly. FINA made a mistake because we already had one Greek swimmer with OQT in that event. So they revoked their invitation and then in the end they made an exception and let Vourna compete.

Whoever wrote that article should be horse whipped. ‘Gossipy Irish’?

2 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Whoever wrote that article should be horse whipped. ‘Gossipy Irish’?

Lol they didn't mean it like that, it got lost in translation. It was meant more in a way that like the Irish were naive and thought they qualified their relay team.

30 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Lol they didn't mean it like that, it got lost in translation. It was meant more in a way that like the Irish were naive and thought they qualified their relay team.

According to sources here there is no change in the situation. Ireland still keeping the spot. It’s wishful thinking by the Greeks

18 minutes ago, Oldira said:

According to sources here there is no change in the situation. Ireland still keeping the spot. It’s wishful thinking by the Greeks

I'm not sure why you think that. Greek aquatics federation said that they spoke with FINA officials today and they (FINA) apologized for the confusion and confirmed with Greece that our relay teams are heading to Tokyo. FINA said it was an error on their part.

This is from the Greek aquatics federation's official website.

https://koe.org.gr/article/me-astrapiaies-kiniseis-tis-koe-pros-ti-fina-kanonika-oi-skutales-mas-4x100m-m-omadiki-andron-kai-4x100m-m-mixed-sto-tokio

Also our times are now listed on FINA's website as well.

https://www.fina.org/swimming/rankings?gender=M&distance=100&stroke=MEDLEY_RELAY&poolConfiguration=LCM&year=2021&startDate=&endDate=&timesMode=ALL_TIMES&regionId=all&countryId=

https://www.fina.org/swimming/rankings?gender=X&distance=100&stroke=MEDLEY_RELAY&poolConfiguration=LCM&year=2021&startDate=&endDate=&timesMode=ALL_TIMES&regionId=all&countryId=

I think it’s almost certain now that Greece are going to be invited. But will FINA do the right thing now and allow Ireland and Switzerland to keep their places too? It would be exceptionally cruel to inform the teams they qualified and crush those dreams and all of those private moments of celebration the athletes will have shared with friends and family when the invite was received.

6 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I think it’s almost certain now that Greece are going to be invited. But will FINA do the right thing now and allow Ireland and Switzerland to keep their places too? It would be exceptionally cruel to inform the teams they qualified and crush those dreams and all of those private moments of celebration the athletes will have shared with friends and family when the invite was received.

Are any of the Irish and Swiss swimmers qualified in individual events at least? :(

13 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Are any of the Irish and Swiss swimmers qualified in individual events at least? :(

We only have 3 male swimmers qualified and one is in 800m freestyle so this could definitely affect a couple of our guys. There is one more chance for them to qualify for Olympics this month. FINA might end up awarding them invitations with the OST times and our federation should accept those invites if that is the case. But given there are 10 lanes in the Olympic pool, they should just allow them in now. It was already a hard blow to lose the spot by 0.01 secs in the final days and then for FINA to send them an invite and take it away would be salt in the wound.

I have no idea about Switzerland to be honest.

If they don't want to have 17 teams in those two relays, then they should invite the Swiss and Irish swimmers (perhaps only those not qualified in other events) from the relay teams to compete in individual events. As I mentioned before, it reminds me of the Kristel Vourna situation from 2016 where they invited her, revoked the invitation, then re-invited her (only after they faced backlash for it). 

Having at most 3-4 additional swimmers in Tokyo really isn't going to kill them.