website statistics

Poll 2/100 | Which of the New/Returning sports are you most excited for?

Poll 2/100  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the New/Returning sports are you most excited for?

Let's insult the sports then. :p

Climbing, for an "action sport", is actually quite boring with lots of waiting around for people to take one more step.

I like baseball but, without most of the best 1000 players being there, it's a bit like watching the football World Cup without all the players who play for clubs in Europe or South America competing.

Karate is like Judo or Taekwondo only much less interesting and the Kata event looks like drunk dancing.

Haven't seen enough surfing to have an opinion.

That leaves softball and skateboarding and softball has only a couple of competitive teams.

That means skateboarding is the only one left...

Even if there is no Dutch competitors, it's climbing for me. I loved the few times I was in a climbing hall and I'm excited to see it on the Olympic stage.

The Dutch skateboarding team is a fun group though, a close second for this poll. I don't really care for the other sports.

And to repeat what many others said in yesterday's thread: this is a great idea, I hope you keep surprising us with fun polls!

Sport climbing. Not even 'the most', it's the only one I'm excited for :p 

Surfing and skateboarding have way too much of a vibe that's like "this is just for fun, who cares who wins" plus I have no idea what move is what (and don't really care). In karate nothing seems to happen most of the time and the semi-dancing event is even less interesting for me, and baseball takes way too long all the time before something interesting happens in between the gazillion missed hits which make the whole waiting game start again :p 

Sport climbing on the other hand: constant action, fairly easy to follow (too bad they only have the combined event since that one is much harder to follow, but alright) and absolutely hundred percent about the win. 

Sport climbing is something I am absolutely going to watch (I do so with World Cups as well, after all), I have zero reasons to watch karate, baseball, surfing or skateboarding :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

once again, multiple choice would have helped me...

I went for Karate (Kumite only, I don't like Kata at all) because I love fighting sport, because probably this is the first but also last appearance of the sport at the Olympic Games, because there's a chance to see some Italian medallists...in the end, because I want to watch it...

Individuals? Luigi Busà (men's -75kg) of course, but also Silvia Semeraro and the Iranian Ganjzadeh (I'm also frustrated because the competition format/rules won't allow the other Iranian Poorshab to participate since his Olympic weight class is the same of Ganjzadeh)...

others to be followed...Serap Ozcelik Arapoglu (TUR, women's -55kg), Anzhelika Terliuga (UKR, women's -55kg), Steven Dacosta (FRA, men's -67kg) and basically all the Japanese fighters...

but I'm also very excited about Sport Climbing's Olympic debut, even if the Olympic format is a senseless farce...

climbers to watch? Janja Garnbret (SLO) because she's already the greatest of all times despite her young age...but also all the Japanese men and women and Laura Rogora, the Italian rising star of this sport...

and surely I'm going to follow some Baseball, too...because despite the absence of MLB players (the best in the world), the Asian Pro Leagues' stars from NPB and KBO (which I follow regularly through the year) would provide an excellent tournament in one of my favourite team sports overall...

Softball, most likely I'm gonna watch only a few games before the opening Ceremony and the Gold Medal match...I don't like this sport as much as I love Baseball despite they almost look the same thing...

probably I'm also going to watch some Surf and Skateboard because it's the Olympics, but I'm not so mych into those 2 sports...most likely, I wouldn't follow them at all if they weren't part of the Olympic schedule...

44 minutes ago, dcro said:

tldr: Totallympians love to diss the sports they don't follow.

Oh yes, definitely when there is a question about which one you like most (good thing breakdancing wasn't possible in this list).

I'm sure I watch plenty of stuff others would find horribly boring, that's fine :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh yes, definitely when there is a question about which one you like most (good thing breakdancing wasn't possible in this list).

I'm sure I watch plenty of stuff others would find horribly boring, that's fine :p 

But that's the point. You can't judge the sports that you literally don't follow... ever.

For example, anyone who says that softball is boring or that it has no action, clearly that person did not witness the 2018 World Championships Final.

If you used to be a fan of something, or you followed it casually but regularly, than that's a whole new thing and your opinion (positive or negative) has some weight. Otherwise it's just dissing. :p

#banbestmen

All of them :p. I think Skateboarding will be most popular among fans and spectators, but I’m excited for Surfing. I’ve really grown to like it over the past few years. I will watch a bit of baseball/softball and Sport climbing as well. For karate, I could leave it or take it.