website statistics

Poll 2/100 | Which of the New/Returning sports are you most excited for?

Poll 2/100  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the New/Returning sports are you most excited for?

2 hours ago, dcro said:

But that's the point. You can't judge the sports that you literally don't follow... ever.

For example, anyone who says that softball is boring or that it has no action, clearly that person did not witness the 2018 World Championships Final.

If you used to be a fan of something, or you followed it casually but regularly, than that's a whole new thing and your opinion (positive or negative) has some weight. Otherwise it's just dissing. :p

I used to watch baseball every now and then when I still had (the American version of) ESPN on TV, even knew which pitcher was with which team, at least the famous ones, and even had a favourite team :p 

And yes, I would be lying if I say literally nothing ever happens, but when I watched, most of the time - not always - it was a matter of not much happening and waiting for someone to (first) actually hit something and (second) that hit doing more than just being caught :p 

I do perfectly get that for others this can be sort of relaxing or therapeutic even. I mean, I watch whole cycling stages if I can or even 200+ kilometer long classics on a Sunday, it's not like there's always that much happening in the first 90% or so :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Well, I grew up watching skateboarding, so I’ll definitely be invested in its Olympic debut.

It’s no secret that I’m a massive fan of Sports Climbing, so I’ll definitely be highly invested there. 

I haven’t watched much Surfing, but I’m definitely open to checking it out. 

I’ve watched plenty of Karate and Baseball/Softball at multi-sports games, so I know what to expect there. They aren’t my favorite sports, but I’ll give them a good look as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I picked surfing. I was really skeptical of it at first, but I started following the WSL after the sport’s introduction in the Olympics and I was really pleasantly surprised at how different it is from anything else on the program.

Very excited for skateboarding (a sport which is way overdue for Olympic inclusion), climbing (despite the terrible format) and softball.

I’ll watch a bunch of karate due to the novelty, but frankly I can’t say kumite or kata appeals to me at all. At least kata is radically different from anything else in the Olympics.

14 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Sport climbing. Not even 'the most', it's the only one I'm excited for :p 

Surfing and skateboarding have way too much of a vibe that's like "this is just for fun, who cares who wins" plus I have no idea what move is what (and don't really care). In karate nothing seems to happen most of the time and the semi-dancing event is even less interesting for me, and baseball takes way too long all the time before something interesting happens in between the gazillion missed hits which make the whole waiting game start again :p 

Sport climbing on the other hand: constant action, fairly easy to follow (too bad they only have the combined event since that one is much harder to follow, but alright) and absolutely hundred percent about the win. 

Sport climbing is something I am absolutely going to watch (I do so with World Cups as well, after all), I have zero reasons to watch karate, baseball, surfing or skateboarding :d 

I posted about it in the US National Thread, but NBC Olympics (their online platform where you can access the OBS streams and other things during the Games) has these nice terminology breakdowns by sport. Here’s the one for skateboarding as an example: https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/skateboarding-101-glossary

I think it’s a great feature. It should help the causal and less knowledgeable viewers at least understand each sport a little better. They also have a breakdown of the competition format and some other neat features to help people understand and follow all of the sports better.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I voted flr surfing. I will definetely watch it.

Skateboarding I have been watching that for a long time, and I enjoy a lot the competitions. So I will watch this too.

I leraned to like Sport Climbing, and I like that so much now, so it is also on my list.

I dont understand too much about karate, so I will use this opportunity to learn more about that.

Softball and Baseball I will prpbably watch just the games before the official opening and semifinals or finals.

I like baseball, but during olympics it is not among my priorities.

8 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I'm surprised with how much you guys seem to like sports climbing. For me, it's the worst sport in the current Olympic program. I could even pick breakdancing over sports climbing, to be honest.

I fully respect your opinion (taste is absolutely personal), but I don't agree...;)

the action might not be always fast and furious (actually, in the speed event it's fast and furious), but there's always a lot of tension, strategy, strenght, technique involved in any single move that makes this sport very likeable...at least for me...

by the way, I just used this post to remember that today the new Sport Climbing season starts in Switzerland with the first Boulder competition...

more details in the specific thread...

7 hours ago, phelps said:

I fully respect your opinion (taste is absolutely personal), but I don't agree...;)

the action might not be always fast and furious (actually, in the speed event it's fast and furious), but there's always a lot of tension, strategy, strenght, technique involved in any single move that makes this sport very likeable...at least for me...

Yes, the point is that it all comes down to personal taste. I just can't enjoy it no matter what. It's either over too fast or slow and boring.

This sport almost makes me like Parkour for kind of fitting in the middle: it's not over too fast, but it's also not so slow that I would be bored watching.