website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

3 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I have two question regarding the world ranking: 

- if two athletes have the same world ranking score , what is deciding who is better placed  

According to World Athletics, the athlete with the better result score will be placed first.

4 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

According to World Athletics, the athlete with the better result score will be placed first.

Does not seem to be the case.

the one with the better performance score is ranked better it seems 

also it seems that the exact average doesn’t matter neither, it means if an athlete has 1110,9 and the other 1110,0 the one one with lower average could be ranked higher depending on performance score. 

and clearly it hits us again, ?

but let’s wait for the final rankings 

1 minute ago, Crolympic said:

In case of the same score, ranking is decided based on the best performance score of the athletes. If they are equal then second best performance score...

I noticed that now, and bad luck for Kozul , no olympics for her 

22 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

:JAM   Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce 200 m 21.79 PB 

And 10.71 in the 100m final (after a 10.75 I believe in the semis), she is on fire, wow.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, hckošice said:

if you have not, then you have only 2 options, either sign quickly for a meeting in central asia or coninue training and prepare for the next games.

So you prefer for athletes to cheat than to have the current rules with rankings? Seriously?!

1 minute ago, Makedonas said:

So you prefer for athletes to cheat than to have the current rules with rankings? Seriously?!

This one with the UZB/KAZ meetings was sarcastic :p

I meant that the Olympics will suffer more and more in the next editions thanks the limiting quotas redistribution by agenda 2020. We all know the same nations will always qualify with full teams and grab all quotas, so better to reduce their chances only to achieved standards and redistribute all ranking quotas (that ranking is completely unfair if you ask me, it is not about how good athlete is but how good manager the athlete has and can place him/her to a better rewarded meeting) to small nations, because Olympics are not only for USA and Co.

:GRE Elisavet Pesiridou will probably make it in the women's 100 hurdles. She is currently 42nd with 1204 points (40th has 1205 points) but she just won the Balkan Championships with 13.06, so she'll now move up a lot in the rankings (probably to 35 or so).

I know it's not a big deal for others but really happy for her. She was injured the past few weeks and missed some meets she was scheduled to take part in, and even her participation in the Balkan Championships was uncertain. So for her to win with a SB and (99% sure) book her ticket to Tokyo is really great considering her injury situation which came at a bad time, and the fact that a few days ago we didn't even know if she would get the chance to make it to Tokyo.

Also in 2019 she made the decision to skip the World Championships (even though she qualified) because she was tired from the long season, so I'm glad that the strange decision she made back then didn't ruin her Olympic chances in the end.

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

(that ranking is completely unfair if you ask me, it is not about how good athlete is but how good manager the athlete has and can place him/her to a better rewarded meeting)

Absolutely, correct.

It would make more sense to design a standard which 50%-75% of athletes per event will qualify from, and then use the “top lists” and universality spots to fill the remaining quotas.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela