website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Tigercub said:

Close game between :SRB Serbia and Italy :ITA, just a 2-point lead for ITA with less than 5 minutes remaining in the game

ITA escapes with a close win, 78-76

it's clear that right now we own them mentally

I don't know how this team could comeback from -16 late in the 3rd quarter and beat :SRB for the 3rd time in a row when it really matters

Fontecchio (and partially Datome) just pulled out a miracle (despite that clown on the bench)

10 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

Spain in troubles, I think they have very little chances against Canada 

I think that Latvia and Canada will win against Brasilia, so they will have to win against Canada to rech to quarterfinal.

Edited by Mecki83

30 minutes ago, Mecki83 said:

After the surprising loss of Spain it could be Latvia as well in the quarterfinals.

Absolutely shocking result, especially without Porzingis. Obviously Spain hasn't their most talented team ever, but i still thought that they would win this by 10 points or so. Now Spain probably has to beat Canada to advance, which seems rather unlikely.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Would be crazy if Italy and Latvia would get the 2 european spots here ...

Serbia, Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Germany and Slovenia would have to compete for the remaining spots next year.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I think one European quota will be taken by Slovenia, the other difficult to say but 

someone among Serbia, Lithuania Greece or Italy. Unless Dom Rep manages to qualify to the Semis and honestly I think they have a chance against LTU/GRE. that would open chances for Germany. 

25 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Would be crazy if Italy and Latvia would get the 2 european spots here ...

Serbia, Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Germany and Slovenia would have to compete for the remaining spots next year.

I just did some math on the Italy/Serbia/Dominican Republic group.
Let's assume that Domincan Republic and italy will win their games against Puerto Rico.

Then there are two possible outcomes:

1) Serbia looses against Dominican Republic

-> 1st place in group I goes to Domincan Republic

-> 2nd place in group I goes to Italy (and will potentially face USA in the QF)

2) Serbia wins against Dominican Republic

-> Serbia/Italy/Dominican Republic are tied 

-> next criteria is the difference in baskets for the matches between the teams with the same number of points 

-> Italy is already fixed at 160-163 = -3

-> Domincan Republic is currently at +5

-> Serbia is at -2

=> It is not possible for Italy to finish in 1st place (and avoid USA in the QF). It is possible that Italy will finish in 3rd place (if Seribia wins with less than 8 points).

It seems right now as Slovenia leads against Australia that the crucial game will be between Slovenia /Germany. 
the winner could face Latvia (or Spain) in 1/4. I believe Slovenia will win both unless Spain recovers somehow, then it is a 50% -50%. 
Canada is the best team in the bottom part of the draw. 

In the upper part Lithuania seems in trouble as of now, but still enough time to catch Greece. 

30 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

I think one European quota will be taken by Slovenia, the other difficult to say but 

someone among Serbia, Lithuania Greece or Italy. Unless Dom Rep manages to qualify to the Semis and honestly I think they have a chance against LTU/GRE. that would open chances for Germany. 

I think that you have to reach the semi finals for the European quota.

With near certainty there will be a European match in the QF between group K and L and as long as Dominican Republic is not winning group I there will be another European match (1st group I vs. 2nd group J).

I think only Canada can prevent three European teams in the semi finals.

Edited by Mecki83