website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 4/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, George_D said:

i am 100% against naturalized players. The national identity of teams is lost.

Not a single exception? I mean, I'm not a fan of players being naturalized because they've played for a club in the country for a year or because their greatgrandmother happened to be from the country, but what about the (admittedly more rare) cases where someone has genuinely moved to a new country and built a sustainable life there?

For example in athletics, there's a huge difference between all those Kenyans competing for Bahrain and Turkey and whatnot due to the money, and someone like Lonah Salpeter, who competes for Israel but actually has her entire life there for many years already (working there, getting married and raising a family there, living there etc) and is arguably more Israeli than most of their US-based baseball players for example.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not a single exception? I mean, I'm not a fan of players being naturalized because they've played for a club in the country for a year or because their greatgrandmother happened to be from the country, but what about the (admittedly more rare) cases where someone has genuinely moved to a new country and built a sustainable life there?

For example in athletics, there's a huge difference between all those Kenyans competing for Bahrain and Turkey and whatnot due to the money, and someone like Lonah Salpeter, who competes for Israel but actually has her entire life there for many years already (working there, getting married and raising a family there, living there etc) and is arguably more Israeli than most of their US-based baseball players for example.

yes true but the exceptions will be used as a "base" for bypassing any rules that can restrict the naturalizations...

21 minutes ago, George_D said:

yes true but the exceptions will be used as a "base" for bypassing any rules that can restrict the naturalizations...

One big step would be something like a (not so easy) language test, to make sure people competing for a certain country at the very least have no problems speaking the language of said country. Someone who's just going to play there for a year or two probably won't make that, on average, whereas someone who actually builds a life and family and everything there most likely will.

But yeah, it will always remain a difficult situation I suppose.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!