website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I don't think there is any risk for Robinson in going in the pool - probably no different to a training swim for him - so if he wants to do double up then there shouldn't be any issue. 

Plenty of done it before. David Davies, Keri Anne - Payne and Cassandra Patten in Beijing all competed in the pool and then medalled in the open water, 

Edited by Orangehair43

Aquatics GB have signed a 5 year deal with the London Aquatics centre to host the GB championships through to the Olympic Trials for LA '28. A great decision from them given how well the event has gone this year. 

Hopefully they will also be able to sign ongoing deals with BBC and Channel 4 to provide coverage of the event - although it would be even better if the BBC showed it on an actual channel rather than just online or on iPlayer. 

15 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Aquatics GB have signed a 5 year deal with the London Aquatics centre to host the GB championships through to the Olympic Trials for LA '28. A great decision from them given how well the event has gone this year. 

Hopefully they will also be able to sign ongoing deals with BBC and Channel 4 to provide coverage of the event - although it would be even better if the BBC showed it on an actual channel rather than just online or on iPlayer. 

I would like to see more of this CH4/BBC working together ( in some ways they are a better fit than BBC/ITV - ITV, oddly, fit better with Sky and pay TV) - the way that the two channels sort of deferred to each other in their area of expertise was excellent, and adding the MC para swims did a great job of bulking out the timetable, keeping things moving, and helped introduce major Paralympic players to an audience who might not follow them.

I'd say this format might work pretty well in cycling and athletics for GB too

Edited by mpjmcevoy

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I would like to see more of this CH4/BBC working together ( in some ways they are a better fit than BBC/ITV - ITV, oddly, fit better with Sky and pay TV) - the way that the two channels sort of deferred to each other in their area of expertise was excellent, and adding the MC para swims did a great job of bulking out the timetable, keeping things moving, and helped introduce major Paralympic players to an audience who might not follow them.

I'd say this format might work pretty well in cycling and athletics for GB too

In terms of integrated events but obviously Athletics can’t have the exact same selection procedure becuase the weather has a big impact. A bad day of weather might mean few making a BST on that day which takes away the big attraction.  And also MC events work for some classifications and events but others wont be practical so the timetable would be bigger. 

Plus do Athletics  want to make the selection more high profile when that increases the coverage the rejecting of invites would get.  It’s clear British Athletics doesn’t have the trust of it’s competitors  swimming has.

Edited by Orangehair43

I think para-cycling and cycling could definitely work as all the events at the Paralympics are time trial format, so integrated classes could compete on a points system. The issue is that a selection meet wouldn't really work for cycling as most events are team ones and the likelihood of a random rider knocking down an olympic champion is much higher, which would kind of be like british cycling. shooting itself in the foot. 

4 hours ago, TeamGB said:

I think para-cycling and cycling could definitely work as all the events at the Paralympics are time trial format, so integrated classes could compete on a points system. The issue is that a selection meet wouldn't really work for cycling as most events are team ones and the likelihood of a random rider knocking down an olympic champion is much higher, which would kind of be like british cycling. shooting itself in the foot. 

Plus British Cycling know who they want and won’t want to take have fo someone they don’t want to because they did better at the trails.

Edited by Orangehair43

James Guy on instagram had posted that he has been officially selected for the olympics, however that post has vanished now, hopefully that means team news is out soon and he had to take it down because they are still notifying everyone  

On 4/8/2024 at 6:41 PM, TeamGB said:

Cycling, like Triathlon and Gymnastics, don't select purely on finishing places so the presentation would need to be different to swimming/athletics, but I still think there's gas in integrated able-bodied and Para sport in GB, with C4 and BBC co-operating (and splitting costs), and it having an input into the nomination process while creating a series of 'Road to the Games' events that can be win win for all concerned - at it's most extreme, you can run multiclass para athletics events so that the British championships last significantly longer while still having a full schedule, and introducing folk to the likely Para stars of the Olympics/Worlds/Europeans as well as the able bodied players