website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Definitely a story to keep tabs on…

My initial thought is that I’m not opposed to this decision, but it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Translation- ''The event is too hard,we need to make it easier'' Here's some advice,why don't the athletes GET BETTER AND NOT FOUL ?

First, heptathletes and decathletes will love it !

Then, it's actually a very surprising move. Most federations these days are trying to add fake drama and uncertainty for the 5 seconds goldfish generation. Here, we would remove some drama and make the contest much more straightforward giving the better athletes - well, the ones who actually can jump longer regardless of a fault or not - a significant edge.

2 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

Translation- ''The event is too hard,we need to make it easier'' Here's some advice,why don't the athletes GET BETTER AND NOT FOUL ?

Jesus, exactly this. Part of long and triple jump is making sure your approach to the jump is correct....if you wish to take risks, you're free to do so, and it might pay off fantastically, but it might...you know, not.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Spanovic :bowdown:

ErOvtEU.jpeg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Jesus, exactly this. Part of long and triple jump is making sure your approach to the jump is correct....if you wish to take risks, you're free to do so, and it might pay off fantastically, but it might...you know, not.

To play “Devil’s advocate” on this issue, would the changes to the event actually make it about the “longest jump,” rather than the most accurate takeoff?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

54 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Spanovic :bowdown:

ErOvtEU.jpeg

I do really love that woman! 

these are the only lines on this question that make sense

I just can't stand anymore those *choose your favourite definition* that try and ruin all the sports without knowing anything about them

stop IOC, stop Bach, stop "agenda 2020", stop "gender equality", stop the TV networks...stop all those idiots and all this bullshit!!! :stop::stop::stop:

51 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

To play “Devil’s advocate” on this issue, would the changes to the event actually make it about the “longest jump,” rather than the most accurate takeoff?

Right now it isn't about 'the most accurate takeoff' though. The approach and takeoff are merely parts of the equation, but still things one needs to master in order to be a complete long jumper.

40 minutes ago, phelps said:

I just can't stand anymore those *choose your favourite definition* that try and ruin all the sports without knowing anything about them

stop IOC, stop Bach, stop "agenda 2020", stop "gender equality", stop the TV networks...stop all those idiots and all this bullshit!!! :stop::stop::stop:

Not sure I necessarily agree with entirely stopping 'agenda 2020' and 'gender equality' and such (only if it takes away things rather than adds things), but the main issue here seems to be deciding things without consulting the actual athletes, which should be a massive no-go.

57 minutes ago, phelps said:

Oh god,i'm so tired of this gender equality crap in sports