website statistics

2024 in sports - Contest

rafalgorka

21 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I just don’t get all this hype about baseball . I tried to watch it few times but it is soooo boring to me. I fell asleep twice

i understand baseball may be a nice way to spend Sunday afternoon in the local pitch playing or watching an amateur league, a picnic or sth … but to watch it on TV??? Nope.

question of taste, I guess :dunno:

I just love baseball: the game itself, the strategy, the skills and, above all, all the amazing (sometimes really funny, sometimes unbelievable) stories behind it

11 hours ago, phelps said:

question of taste, I guess :dunno:

I just love baseball: the game itself, the strategy, the skills and, above all, all the amazing (sometimes really funny, sometimes unbelievable) stories behind it

Sure. Maybe I will try to watch it one more time . We will see 

On 1/3/2024 at 12:09 PM, rafalgorka said:

What’s the sports event in 24 you are waiting for the most outside of Paris Olympics ???

I would say UEFA euro 24

Always a tough question :p 

Isle of Man TT perhaps, or the legendary alpine skiing downhills we get in January. Or the Le Mans and Nürburgring 24 hours....it's tough :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Sure. Maybe I will try to watch it one more time . We will see 

To be fair, it's fine not to like a sport. Figure skating is apparently very popular, but I just truly don't care other than a few nice jumps in highlight videos, or maybe the top-3 in the Olympics. Meanwhile I love things like road cycling or cross-country skiing, which tons and tons of people find incredibly boring. To each their own :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Sadly i found out about this too late. My answers would have been:

1. JANUARY - Who will win the 2024 European Men's Handball Championship? :DEN

2. FEBRUARY - Who will win Men's Pursuit event at the 2024 Biathlon World Championships? :NOR (J. Boe)

3. MARCH - Who will win Ladies event in 2024 Figure Skating World Championships? :JPN (K. Sakamoto)

4. APRIL - Who will win Golf Masters Tournament in 2024? :ESP (J. Rahm)

5. MAY - Who will 2024 Ice Hockey IIHF World Championship? :CAN

6. JUNE* - Who will win UEFA EURO 2024? :FRA

7. JULY* - Which NOC will win the most medals in total in Paris 2024 olympics? :USA

8. AUGUST* - Which NOC will win the most gold medals in Paris 2024 olympics? :USA

9. SEPTEMBER - Who will win Tennis Ladies Singles event in 2024 US Open? :USA (C. Gauff)

10. OCTOBER - Who will win 2024 World Series (Baseball)?

11. NOVEMBER - Who will win ATP Finals in Singles event? :SRB (N. Djokovic)

12. DECEMBER - Who will win World Drivers' Championships in F1 2024 season?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

To be fair, it's fine not to like a sport.

Yes, sure. Funny thing is that almost EVERY olympics i watch a sport or an event which i haven't planned to watch it because i don't follow it much usually and then i watch it quite randomly (because there's nothing more interesting at the time) and this sport/event turns out to be really entertaining

that was rugby 7s in Rio for example

i think i will find sth like this in Paris as well (i even start to think what it can be: badminton, field hockey, table tennis???). Breaking or artistic swimming rather not i'm afraid... ;-)

Posted (edited)

In figure skating i really like men, women and - the most - pairs. But i don't watch ice dance, it's boring to me.

And i think i follow figure skating because in the 1980s there was not much sports in our National TV but they were always showing European Champs and World Champs in figure skating (you remember Grzegorz Filipowski, anyone, heh?). So i watched it because there was nothing else. They didn't show alpine skiing world cup but they showed this.

PS. I don't know if i mentioned to you why i started to watch olympics so much. In 1988 in winter i went skiing and i broke my leg awfully... really awful... and i was at home grounded exactly at the time when Calgary olympics started. And i could watch it all day long and in the evening/night hours when normally i couldn't because i would have to go to sleep to be ready to school next day. And i got this "olympic fever" . There was no internet so i asked my grandma to buy our Polish daily sports newspapers like Sport or Tempo and i had no computer so i had large workbooks with lists of all the athletes and results and so on... hah, those were the days...

I remember when Seoul came i was so disappointed because I was 100% healthy and i had to go to school (it wasn't during our summer holidays unfortunately), But i watched it all the weekend and in the mornings before school and i bought tons of these newspapers, still have some of them...

Edited by rafalgorka

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Sadly i found out about this too late. My answers would have been:

This is not a problem at all. Handball ECH hasn't started yet so we will cast your votes, no problem. Maybe someone else wants to join us as well??? Handball starts on Jan 10

Btw, i am really interested how do you find chances for German Men's Handball Team in ECH and then in Paris? Also other German teams in teams sports (basketball, volleyball, hockey...).

Edited by rafalgorka

On 1/6/2024 at 7:49 PM, canadafan2024 said:

and NCAA basketball tournament (March Madness)

Yeah, I forgot it

I like m basketball a lot but I actually never watched NCAA march madness

I am not sure it is available to watch in Poland actually