website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2023

Opening Ceremony: Parade of Nations (3/4)

:LTU Lithuania :LTU

Jury: @Werloc

Artist: Monika Liu

:MLT Malta :MLT

Jury: @Glen

Artist: Red Electric

:MEX Mexico :MEX

Jury: @mrv86

Artist: Julieta Venegas

:MDA Moldova :MDA

Jury: @Ionoutz24 

Artist: Carla's Dreams

:NED Netherlands :NED

Jury: @heywoodu

Artist: Miss Montreal

:NZL New Zealand:NZL

Jury: @Wanderer

Artist: Connan Mockasin

:POL Poland :POL

Jury: @rybak

Artist: KORTEZ

:POR Portugal :POR

Jury: @kungshamra71 

Artist: Madredeus

:KAZ Qazaqstan :KAZ

Jury: @Ruslan

Artist: BN x Raim & Artur

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Opening Ceremony: Parade of Nations (4/4)

:ROU Romania :ROU  

Jury: @IoNuTzZ

Artist: HAVANA ft. Yaar

:SRB Serbia :SRB  

Jury: @NikolaB

Artist: Marija

:SVK Slovakia :SVK   

Jury: @hckošice

Artist: Peha

:SLO Slovenia :SLO     

Jury: @justony

Artist: Siddharta

:ESP Spain :ESP     

Jury: @Cobi

Artist: Mecano

:SWE Sweden :SWE     

Jury: @Belle

Artist: Ghost

:TUR Türkiye :TUR     

Jury: @Memo

Artist: Jehan Barbur

:UKR Ukraine :UKR      

Jury: @Illya

Artist: Alyosha

:USA United States of America :USA     

Jury: @Olympian1010 @dezbee2008

Artist: Beck

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Opening Ceremony: Oaths

Competitors Oath - Monika Liu :LTU : "In the name of all artists, I promise that we shall take part in this Contest, respecting and abiding by the rules that govern TISC - committing ourselves to a competition that values respect and the true spirit of sportsmanship. We do so for the glory of music and the honor of our nations!"

Jury Oath - @Roamingrover86 :IND : “In the name of all the jury members, I promise that we shall adjudicate in our deliberations at this Contest with complete impartiality, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern TISC in the true spirit of sportsmanship! We commit to this for the health of the Contest and the honor of our nations!"

Host Oath - @Olympian1010:USA : “I promise that I will organize this Contest, respecting and abiding by the rules that govern TISC - committing myself to overseeing a competition that values respect and promotes the true spirit of sportsmanship. I do this in honor of artists and juries and for the continued success of TISC!” 

52 minutes ago, hckošice said:

No worries.

VPN just arrived to help :d

Good idea, I'll do that in a bit too! If I do it now, I think Eurosport will freak out :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Main Artist Segment: The Journey

What up! What up! What up! It’s your boy: DJ Youth and Urban. It’s been quite the ceremony so far, but we’re just getting started. Let’s hit the road and resume our artistic presentation.

Down By The Beach

Anyone fancy a trip to the beach? I’ve heard the wave sets are gnarly today. I'd advise caution dudes and dudettes, you wouldn’t want to wipe out in front of all the tourists. 

Surf Culture came to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s. It left an indelible mark on the way Californians speak, eat, and recreate. Cruise down state highways 1 or 39, and you’ll see plenty of remnants from the era. Check out a fifties themed diner, or find some radical dudes and dudettes to cut a rug with.

Turn On, Tune In, and Drop Out

Hollyweed might not have graced the Valley long, but California is notorious for its attitude towards recreational drugs. The 1960s saw the emergence of the counterculture hippie movement at the intersection of Haight Street and Ashbury street in San Francisco. Young people disenfranchised by the government, suburban cookie-cutter lifestyle, and the Vietnam War descended upon the city. They explored their spirituality, practiced free-love, embraced communal living, and experimented with psychedelic drugs. The movement culminated with the Summer of Love.

The aesthetic was tie-dye and the goal was harmony. Of course, frustration with the established lifestyle was high too.

It was a wild era of massive music festivals and vibrant artistic expression.

It ultimately ended with violence and hatred sadly. A haphazardly organized music festival at the Altamont Speedway became synonymous with the end of the era. There were fights, a fatal stabbing, drug overdoses, and ultimately, chaos.

The Fillmore Scene

Wow! That got intense towards the end. Let’s cool things down and travel back in time to San Francisco's Fillmore District. In the 1950s, Fillmore Street was a beacon for jazz music. Black Americans had moved West pursuing manufacturing jobs during World War 2 and in the years that followed. They brought the sound of New Orleans with them, and created something special.

Sadly, the jazz scene was only temporary. The neighborhood was viewed poorly by city authorities, and thus resigned to urban redevelopment. The clubs closed and music moved on.

Man in Black

If the conclusion of that last segment has you feeling down, or maybe a bit blue, Johnny Cash has a song for you. Inspired by a film set in Folsom State Prison, the “Man in Black” wrote a song with inmates in mind. He would later play the tune live at both Folsom State Prison and Caliofornia’s most notorious state prison San Quentin.

Country in the Central Valley

While we’re in the Central Valley, we might as well talk about the music scene here. A new style of country/western music was being invented at the Southern end of the valley. Dubbed the “Bakersfield Sound,” this style of country music originated from the Midwest American migrants who settled in the area after the Great Depression. If you had the radio on while driving on the 99 from Sacramento to Bakersfield, you might have heard the following tunes.