website statistics

European Championships 2022

Totallympics

16 minutes ago, rybak said:

With women's high jump final we are off to last session of these Championships...

It happened so fast feels like it didn't happen at all. 

Not sure if I like the whole all championships at the same time thing, because you're oversaturated with information and don't really have the time to cherish the victories along the way.

If I'm overwhelmed as a Lithuanian fan, I can only imagine how difficult it was for larger countries to keep up with all of their athletes, results, victories and so on.

Lithuania did surprisingly well with everything that was going on:

Artistic Gymnastics   0-1-0

Athletics                     1-0-0

Canoe Sprint              1-1-2

Rowing                       0-0-1 

Swimming                  1-0-3

Athletics - easy to say that Alekna saved these championships for our team. Liveta Jasiūnaitė really underperformed when a simple 61 meter throw would've sufficed for a bronze. Other than that, Morauskaitė, Truskauskas, Baikštys, Baikštytė, Petrokaitė, Gudžius, Karinauskaitė, Galvydytė, Zarankaitė completely underperformed. No season bests, no personal bests, not even anything close to their season bests, really a huge shame, especially since 2018 championships were historically successful for our team.

Beach Volleyball - for the very first time we had two women teams in a single championship and even though only one team made it into the top 24, both looked rather competitive and only a single match was lost 2:0, every other was 2:1.

Cycling Road - Leleivytė was the highlight with her 12th place, finishing with the main group, other than that, not much to talk about.

Cycling Track - Really huge underperformance here with Svajūnas Jonauskas and Men's team sprint with 9th place as one of the better results. Nice to see that we're actually trying something for the Olympics, it's the first season since we have a men's team sprint. With women it's no longer possible, since Krupeckaitė was too valuable and nobody can replace her on our team. Olivija Baleišytė finished 6th in elimination race, not much strength left for Omnium, she was injured during the event. 

Rowing - interesting that the medal came from the team that I least expected it from, it will be interesting to see what they'll do on the world stage. Our women's team finished in 4th, but it was only their second ever competition together, so I have expectations that they'll continue to be a bigger threat with every new challenge under their belt. 

Just now, dcro said:

I mostly focused on athletics here and it has been enjoyable. Have largely enjoyed MTB, triathlon, climbing too.

The athletics have been great.... finally feels like those European championships that used to be held every 4 years. When they moved to every 2 years they lost some importance, at least in my eyes, but this somehow recaptured that feeling of an important championships.

I watched only rowing, gymnastics and athletics and a bit of cycling but it was enjoyable. Going to miss tuning into athletics every evening (been spoiled with Worlds, Commonwealths and Europeans on our screens here for the past few weeks).

12 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

The athletics have been great.... finally feels like those European championships that used to be held every 4 years. When they moved to every 2 years they lost some importance, at least in my eyes, but this somehow recaptured that feeling of an important championships.

I watched only rowing, gymnastics and athletics and a bit of cycling but it was enjoyable. Going to miss tuning into athletics every evening (been spoiled with Worlds, Commonwealths and Europeans on our screens here for the past few weeks).

so, see you in 2 years in Rome (June 7th-12th, 2024)...:whistle: :lol: :p

1 minute ago, phelps said:

so, see you in 2 years in Rome (June 7th-12th, 2024)...:whistle: :lol: :p

Well I am an athletics fan through and through. If there’s a championships, I’ll most likely be watching ;) 

But for me, those championships taking place just before the Olympics will be a chance to see our next generation of talent who can’t make the Olympics in 2024. But it’s probably more important for those young stars to do well at the juniors than a watered down European senior championships. 

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

Well I am an athletics fan through and through. If there’s a championships, I’ll most likely be watching ;) 

But for me, those championships taking place just before the Olympics will be a chance to see our next generation of talent who can’t make the Olympics in 2024. But it’s probably more important for those young stars to do well at the juniors than a watered down European senior championships. 

I agree...I'm also not a fan of the Continental champs held a few weeks before (or, even worse, after) the Olympics...