website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Dkats said:

It’s just so flawed it’s crazy. The burden is always on either Aus or Uk to host it, don’t really ever see Canada or New Zealand doing as much to try and host. No disrespect intended to our kiwi friends but I don’t think they can host a major sporting event at this scope without co-hosting with Australia. 

It’s not that much bigger than 1990 when they hosted it. 

52 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That was probably the death blow for the games. 

Don't mean to sound like a certain user however 

Unfortunately, I agree. We'll miss them when they're gone.

But I think they're gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I do feel bad for athletes from places like :FLK:NFK:TCA:NIU (etc.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, intoronto said:

Its not happening, or its gonna be a group of Commonwealth Championships under multiple hosts and one medal table imo

I think that would be too difficult for 2026 but could work for 2030 with the UK coordinating things and hosting adapted  ceremonies as capital of ths Commonwealth and the middle of Time. Could also host the Athletics in the UK.

2 hours ago, dullard said:

So it's not dead - yet.

Commonwealth Games to decide on next host in May

It's an interestingly bullish statement. Suspect from this statement they may bite the bullet and separate the Games out into individual Championships for 2026, and style it out, before swinging toward a centenary games in 2030

10 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's an interestingly bullish statement. Suspect from this statement they may bite the bullet and separate the Games out into individual Championships for 2026, and style it out, before swinging toward a centenary games in 2030

Curiouser and curiouser - rumours now that CGF are about toward TWO games, in succession, to West Africa - Ghana has apparently offered to host 2026 using African Games venues (which makes obvious sense), with government approval, while Nigeria is interested in 2030. Tempted to wonder if a combined ghana nigeria 2026 would be better, but whatever works.