website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

Superb day, :INDour best ever day in world championships. 
Neeraj became our first world champion in athletics , won our first ever 🥇in athletics world championships. 
Parul created history by setting a new NR in 3000m SC clocking 9:15:31 & also achieving OQS .

Our relay boys clocked sub 3:00:00  timing again ,finishing 5th in the 4*400 final. 

A very pleasing world championships, by record our best ever! 

Edited by Roamingrover86

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

Last time I've checked, coaches aren't athletes :p

I already mentioned the fact that Chopra is coached by a german coach before this competition. Almost all of the elite german coaches were "killed off" for political/monetary reasons (they would have taken jobs away from west german coaches) after the end of the GDR. Other countries like GB, Australia, China or India had no problem with hiring those coaches and it paid off. Germany in general is one of the least pragmatic countries in the world. Ideology trumps everything else. Germany would rather be trash in sports than to hire coaches with the "wrong" ideology. In a global competition you can't really afford ideology though. I would have no problem with Germany stopping to compete at olympics/global sports competitions, it just makes me angry to see the level of incompetence in german sports that burns millions of tax payer money every year.

I am rather relieved that Weber didn't win a medal (and that France won a medal after all), this gives the german federation less excuses. Germany is now pretty much where Canada was around 2012 (being completely irrelevant in athletics), will be interesting to see if they react the same way.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Can't we all just accept that :GER had a p**s-poor Championships and move on? Much as we all enjoy the endless back and forth exchange of random and largely irrelevant stats it doesn't really move the conversation on much further. 

With Mihambo out injured, they just don't currently have the depth of squad that they used to but they do at least have medal prospects for next year. 

59 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Canada opens the Championships with a 4th, and ends it with a 4th.  Poetic.  

But overall, very good showing.  

It was obvious that it will happen, just like you always can expect 12 points to Spain at TISC :d

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

I already mentioned the fact that Chopra is coached by a german coach before this competition. Almost all of the elite german coaches were "killed off" for political/monetary reasons (they would have taken jobs away from west german coaches) after the end of the GDR. Other countries like GB, Australia, China or India had no problem with hiring those coaches and it paid off. 

What happened to :GER Javelin programme though?

In recent past you had world class athletes like Rohler , Vetter , Hofmann ..

Tbh Deutschland don't have any super star in athletics at present, maybe be Mihambo but she is injured.

Perhaps the federation will put more effort to scout new talents and change their approach to coaching like the ️ team did after the disaster Euro 2000

11 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

What happened to :GER Javelin programme though?

In recent past you had world class athletes like Rohler , Vetter , Hofmann ..

Tbh Deutschland don't have any super star in athletics at present, maybe be Mihambo but she is injured.

Perhaps the federation will put more effort to scout new talents and change their approach to coaching like the ️ team did after the disaster Euro 2000

1) Not sure what you mean with superstar and how many superstars there are if Mihambo doesn't qualify. Personally i am not sure if there are any superstars in athletics right now. Not sure if there is any country except Sweden where someone like Duplantis would be recognized by more than 10 % of the population.

2) All the former greats are injured (reflection of the poor quality of german coaches), like so many other of the best german athletes (Mihambo, Baehre, Klosterhalfen, Kaul).

3) I am not sure if they will change anything, this just isn't how Germany works (anymore). Even someone like Jogi Löw was allowed to keep going after the embarrassement at the 2018 football world championships. It is the same with german politicians, they glue themselves to their position and refuse to leave no matter what happens. Germany has been "infiltrated" by bureaucrats that only care about their own position and not about what is best for the country, there is zero accountability. Of course it also doesn't help that almost all discussions in Germany are based on ideology and not pragmatism. The german energy/migration/defence policy is as braindead/ideology-driven as the german sports system (complete refusal to use performance enhancing substances or hire GDR coaches, while the rest of the world has zero problem doing those things). In a global competition you can't really afford ideology.

If Germany wants to do better in sports, they could start by cutting the funding for the NADA and (if possible) make it (close to) impossible for german athletes to be tested by german doping control officers outside of Germany. You can't expect to be competitive at world stage while doing your best to fight doping and also not installing and incentives for athletes to dope. German athletes get pathetically low medal bonuses.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.