website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

in a warm-up meet in Vicenza, last night :ITA Zane Weir recorded 22.15m (and twice 22.13m) in the men's shot put

in the same competition, :ITA Leonardo Fabbri was second with a 21.84m put

Ryan Crouser is definitely out of reach, but maybe we might have a chance for the "minor" medals in this event :fingers:

:SVK Team Slovakia :SVK

9 (3+6)

Men:

100m Ján Volko

200m Ján Volko

20km Race Walk Dominik Černý

35km Race Walk Dominik Černý, Michal Morvay

Women:

800m Gabriela Gajanová

100m Hurdles Viktória Forster

Hammer Throw Martina Hrašnová

35km Race Walk Hana Burzalová, Mária Katerinka Czaková, Ema Hačundová

No Thiam in the heptahlon due to injury. Which Dutch media has used to come up with 'Historic world title in reach for Vetter after Thiam withdraws', I kid you not. And they actually even mention Hall, but still they thought "hmm, this headline is fine" :lol: 

https://www.nu.nl/sport-overig/6275886/historische-wereldtitel-gloort-voor-vetter-door-afzegging-meerkampicoon-thiam.html

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think :CZE athletic association made some stupid decisions not take take some athletes. Many who who are "under line" in the world ranking have got wild card invitation and they refused despite they keep performing well and they also did not nominate some who are in the ranking. 

Tereza Hrochová - marathon
Dorota Skřivanová - heptathlon
Filip Šnejdr - 800 m
Filip Sasínek - 1.500 m

Vít Hlaváč - 35km walk
Marek Bárta - discus throw - 2nd below the line
Ondřej Kopecký - Decathlon - third below the line. 

Those I did not write anything are not called in by CAS cause they did not perform what "CAS wanted" ..... Such bullshit. Why not to give them the chance if they are in the ranking? WCH can also give them a huge amount of points to the ranking for Paris 2024. I don't really get it ....

Cool, so World Athletics has created a system that doesn’t necessarily rank runners on best performance outright (since they factor in field strength, location, etc.), which has also apparently resulted in countries not sending “the best ranked” athletes under said system. 

Honestly, the Russia crisis, Israeli opponent withdraws, and growing theme of NOCs rejecting rightfully qualified athletes should really provide the impetus to create a “stateless” category of athletes. Those could be athletes who chose not to represent a country, but rather compete as an individual (self-fundraising, managing, etc.)

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

But those athletes could easily be banned by national committes if they refuse to represent their countries and I can't see how WA or any governing body would side with some individuals (no matter how successful they are) over national sporting bodies when it comes to global or continental championships.

1 hour ago, Jan Linha said:

I think :CZE athletic association made some stupid decisions not take take some athletes. Many who who are "under line" in the world ranking have got wild card invitation and they refused despite they keep performing well and they also did not nominate some who are in the ranking. 

Tereza Hrochová - marathon
Dorota Skřivanová - heptathlon
Filip Šnejdr - 800 m
Filip Sasínek - 1.500 m

Vít Hlaváč - 35km walk
Marek Bárta - discus throw - 2nd below the line
Ondřej Kopecký - Decathlon - third below the line. 

Those I did not write anything are not called in by CAS cause they did not perform what "CAS wanted" ..... Such bullshit. Why not to give them the chance if they are in the ranking? WCH can also give them a huge amount of points to the ranking for Paris 2024. I don't really get it ....

They couldn't nominate Kopecký, he has not received an invite. I know they did not reject it because it would have been transfered to Gletty, next in line, who hasn't been selected either.