website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, the upper ring will be an actual running course? :yikes:

I don't know how to imagine that but it sounds awesome :d 

If you could make it work, it would not be unfeasible to have an in-stadium marathon or half marathon on such a concourse (50 ish laps for marathon, 25 ish for half - the latter basically the same as the 10,000m in laps terms), not to mention the novelty of an 800 metres where the gun and the bell are the same thing.

10 minutes ago, LDOG said:

And that track is to be used for competition too? How are the people below going to watch anything up there?

I bet it’s meant to be used as a recreational/public area, not a competition zone.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Vektor said:

Here's how it should look after the Worlds:

@heywoodu

2c9f496e-493a-4be8-943b-64a626c0053b.jpg

That is pretty damn cool :bowdown: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...

These are kind of things that really upset me concerning national federations. Their job, at base level, is to support the participation of their athletes. If someone met the standard/ranked high enough, every effort* should be made to make sure they can go to the world championships.

*I can understand financial hardship, but that definitely isn’t the problem in this case.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

These are kind of things that really upset me concerning national federations. Their job, at base level, is to support the participation of their athletes. If someone met the standard/ranked high enough, every effort* should be made to make sure they can go to the world championships.

*I can understand financial hardship, but that definitely isn’t the problem in this case.

Yeah... this is something we would never do even if we could send an enormously large team. Hungary's goal is to send as many athletes as possible. The Hungarian Athletics Federation is doing everything they can to help Hungarian athletes gain WR point even at the July 30th deadline, we will have multiple last minute events in the country this weekend. And I think we will end up with one of the largest Hungarian athletics teams ever at the Worlds Champs (not that large compared to the top nations, but it will be respectable from us)

51 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Unfortunately the majority of UK sports fans couldn't pick Nielsen or Zeller out in a lineup - that's not being disrespectful to them, simply reflecting the fact that there are probably a handful of big names in British athletics who would have the name recognition to make this more of a story

I think it is a safe bet that there are going to be multiple appeals lodged by athletes who have been rejected and it is not impossible that it could also end up with litigation, although realistically, not sure if any of the athletes would have the financial resources needed to take the case to court.

If I was one of the athletes involved, I'd definitely consider taking the issue to UK Sport who ultimately bankroll UK Athletics. Given the board of UK Sport have board has at least 4 former Olympic/Paralympic athletes on the board, I'd be looking to put pressure on Katherine Grainger, Baroness Grey-Thompson, Chris Boardman and Annie Panter to comment on the fairness of the UK Athletics selection policy. 

The best way to put pressure on UK Athletics would be to unionise - if they had DAS, Keely Hodgkinson, Jaz Sawyers, KJT, Laura Muir, Matt Hudson Smith, Zharnel Hughes and middle distance guys all coming out and collectively saying they didn't have confidence in the management of UK athletics and their selection policy, then it might grab people's attention and could potentially force a change but if the outrage is limited to the athletes mentioned in the article, then nothing is going to change any time soon. . 

GB are deliberately making sure ratings go down. People in the UK love watching Brits yet by having such a small team there are less to watch and interest will wain. The global field of athletics doesn’t really attract viewers at the moment so there are not many non British names who are a draw to the casual audience. 

This is definitely a sharp contrast to Poland who always tries to enter as many athletes as possible - even if some of them are ineligible like in swimming at the last two SOG :p If there is any B-standard, wild card, world ranking loophole or whatever else, we will sniff around it :lol: