website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

Are these "minor injuries" are really just minor injuries, or is there some kind of advancement in the anti-doping program and some training programs are avoiding the Worlds deliberately? It did see some rumors about this online now that these announced injuries and recently announced doping violations are stating to add up, but yeah, they are just rumors. 

Edited by Vektor

6 hours ago, Josh said:

The three Ukrainians, Patterson, Olyslagers (+ Maybe Cunningham) will all be favored over Topic. I see no instance in which she'll win a medal. 

True, they are all clear favs for medals.

On the other hand, i saw many surprises in high jump last 30 years i follow WC. 

Plus, Topic is waaaaay younger than all her opponents, she just won U20 ECh title. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Are these "minor injuries" are really just minor injuries, or is there some kind of advancement in the anti-doping program and some training programs are avoiding the Worlds deliberately? It did see some rumors about this online now that these announced injuries and recently announced doping violations are stating to add up, but yeah, they are just rumors. 

In the case of McLaughlin it also kind of feels like wanting to keep her 'unbeatable aura' alive towards the Olympics. Kind of a Bob Kersee thing to keep athletes from competing a lot, especially McLaughlin barely ever competes compared to plenty of other top athletes.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

W 400m will be the highlight of the WCH for me.

A lot less for me now that McLaughlin is out and the race is devalued somewhat :p

Although of course in the end history doesn't really remember who was not there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

you know, when something goes wrong in "that" department (especially in the year before the olympics, whan all the new weapons have to be tested), the "minor injury" thing is always an excellent excuse (for those who want to trust that) ;)

On a less dark note, I see that we finally have a map of the venue and its surroundings. 

https://assets.aws.worldathletics.org/document/64d3777c41260e1767542b83.pdf

This sure will be a test of the public transport as tram 1, 2 and 24 will be overloaded like they never have been before. H7 might be the best option for anyone who wants to travel in the direction of the city centre. 

I wonder when the medal ceremonies will take place at the "medal plaza". I think they should have it between the sessions, right after the morning session. But I can't find any information about that. There should be a separate broadcast window for that, but I am not seeing it on the program. 

Edited by Vektor

56 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In the case of McLaughlin it also kind of feels like wanting to keep her 'unbeatable aura' alive towards the Olympics. Kind of a Bob Kersee thing to keep athletes from competing a lot, especially McLaughlin barely ever competes compared to plenty of other top athletes.

Yeah I've noticed that too with Kersee. Wonder if Athing Mu will soon follow suit. 

Edited by Josh

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yeah I've noticed that too with Kersee. Wonder if Athing Mu will soon follow suit. 

Isn't her withdrawal almost certain at this point as well? Why would they talk about skipping the Worlds a few days before the event if they show up here anyway? 

2 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Isn't her withdrawal almost certain at this point as well? Why would they talk about skipping the Worlds a few days before the event if they show up here anyway? 

Entry list still has her still listed as competing so who knows. Although I do agree it's strange :mumble: