website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH Olympic Games Qualifier 2019

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, at least that time Ireland didn't get robbed... Oh, wait...

Although the Netherlands knows it too, Spain bribing Malta to beat them with the exactly needed margin to qualify for the World Cup (kicking the Netherlands out) and suddenly Malta's players were all living in big mansions :lol:

I feel sorry for Ireland, although I think we must be careful not to pretend like Canada was only lucky. Ireland shouldn't even have gotten themselves in this situation in the first place.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, LDOG said:

Oof don't know what to say then, I don't have enough knowledge to know what should be called if that was what happened. Most rules in this sport are very against the defenders (basically they have to be extremely clean in every situation), but I don't know about this.

As for Canada at the games... clearly their aspiration would be to beat the weakest teams (Japan/SA) and that's it. This was their gold medal. Wouldn't have been any different for Ireland, both teams have almost exactly the same level (I predicted 51/49 for Canada in fact).

from the official rules of field hockey, as on the FIH website...

A penalty stroke is awarded:

a) for an offence by a defender in the circle which prevents the probable scoring of a goal
If the ball hits a piece of equipment lying in the circle and a probable goal is prevented, a penalty stroke may be awarded.

I don't think this was the case, though...

I still think they took a wrong decision..

Edited by phelps

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I feel sorry for Ireland, although I think we must be careful not to pretend like Canada was only lucky. Ireland shouldn't even have gotten themselves in this situation in the first place.

But then again, can you blame a boxer for not preventing a robbery with a knockout? :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

But then again, can you blame a boxer for not preventing a robbery with a knockout? :p

Yes.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

One interesting.thing All home teams have qualified in both men's and women's side. Home advantage?

Except Chinese women and maybe Canadian men all of them were the ones who could have been easily predicted as the winners, while these two battles were expected (at least by me) to be very tight (and they both finished with shootout). I'd rather say it was a good choice of hosts to celebrate the quota at home.

hace 11 minutos, Shravan Kumar dijo:

One interesting.thing All home teams have qualified in both men's and women's side. Home advantage?

Think all 14 home teams will qualify now.

Next weekend the only even series IMO are NZL-KOR men and IRL-CAN women. 

3 minutes ago, LDOG said:

:IND 4 - 2 :RUS 

Russia played very well.... They just did not have the finishing skills, but played at a high pace in the midfield with spot in passes.... Indians passing was poor but had a couple of pieces of magic 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi