:GER GER,  0 / 0 / 2
:BLR BLR,  0 / 0 / 1
:EST EST,  0 / 0 / 1
:IND IND,  0 / 0 / 1
:KAZ KAZ,  0 / 0 / 1
:NGR NGR,  0 / 0 / 1

1 hour ago, Dolby said:

Dream draws of Kazakhstan in Freestyle

Good to see I'm not the only one noticing it. I can say almost all of them received the best possible draw, except for 125kg. probably because that guy was very bad and could lose to anybody.

I say the best "possible" draw because they had to face one of the top seeds before the QF, most of the time they are in the same quarter as the weakest seeded wrestler. or in some cases like 74kg. their wrestler are in the same quarter with Chamizo but that was a good thing because he will easily qualify for the Olympics tomorrow.

I'm sure most people here don't believe such things but last year Hungary had dream draw in almost all of Greco events. now it's time for Kazakhstan. it can't be just "luck"

@MHSN you had mentioned that you we're surprised at the strong performance of Ravi Dahiya..... Seems like there is A hidden iranian hand..........he spends hours watching videos of his idol Hasan Yazdani, the Olympic champion from Iran — himself was pleasantly surprised. The call-up to the national camp, a first for him, was more exciting to him because that meant, in addition to watching Yazdani's clips, he could discuss it with India's foreign coach Hossein Karimi, who is from Iran. An Olympic quota, or a shot at a World Championships medal, hadn't crossed his mind yet.

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

3 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

@MHSN you had mentioned that you we're surprised at the strong performance of Ravi Dahiya..... Seems like there is A hidden iranian hand..........he spends hours watching videos of his idol Hasan Yazdani, the Olympic champion from Iran — himself was pleasantly surprised. The call-up to the national camp, a first for him, was more exciting to him because that meant, in addition to watching Yazdani's clips, he could discuss it with India's foreign coach Hossein Karimi, who is from Iran. An Olympic quota, or a shot at a World Championships medal, hadn't crossed his mind yet.

that was very interesting

and yes in fact he was the biggest surprise of the first freestyle day, I knew you can't underestimate India in lighter weights but still that was surprising (and I would be happy if he would stopped with the quota but unfortunately for us he beat our wrestler for the bronze :d )

his cardio was fantastic, he could beat Uguev if he had probably 30-40 more seconds. it will get harder for him because now other teams will start analyze him and make plans for him but that was his first World Seniors, he only can improve from here.

Lebanon didn't show up against Israel. the wrestler born and raised in USA, obviously not his own decision. he was forced to.

and I'm sure nobody cares about that. and nobody will say ban this. ban that. (that's just for one other country) and why not ?!, he didn't "hurt" anybody with this, except himself.

24 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that was very interesting

and yes in fact he was the biggest surprise of the first freestyle day, I knew you can't underestimate India in lighter weights but still that was surprising (and I would be happy if he would stopped with the quota but unfortunately for us he beat our wrestler for the bronze :d )

his cardio was fantastic, he could beat Uguev if he had probably 30-40 more seconds. it will get harder for him because now other teams will start analyze him and make plans for him but that was his first World Seniors, he only can improve from here.

But he is just 20 , last year he had an under 23 world champ silver and now world champ bronze he is a great addition to the Indian team and I am sure he would just grow...... I am hoping deepak also wrestlers to his potential and he is just 18 , then we will have a really good team across at least 3 weights

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Just now, MHSN said:

Lebanon didn't show up against Israel. the wrestler born and raised in USA, obviously not his own decision. he was forced to.

and I'm sure nobody cares about that. and nobody will say ban this. ban that. (that's just for one other country) and why not ?!, he didn't "hurt" anybody with this, except himself.

Yes I think it is stupid politics which is hurting the wrestlers

quotas from repechage

74: :KAZ:JPN

125: :UZB:SYR

interestingly all 4 of them from Asia. all 4 of them had easy matches thanks to unbalanced draws.

and this is interesting to see Syria in the list ! :yikes: the guy raised in Russia (with Syrian heritage) and had a dream draw, but still

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) You did not dare to dream of 5 quota places and 3 medals? Ok ...

I think before the start of the competition it wasn't crazy to think that Germany would get at least 4 quota places (Stäbler, Kudla, Popp, Focken) and 2-3 medals (Stäbler, Kudla, Focken).

2) I think 4 medals is a great result and more than expected, but do you seriously want to deny that it is (at least somewhat) disappointing that

a) Stäbler only won bronze after winning gold at 3 editions in a row (i know that he competed in a different weight class, but he won gold in the -66 kg category in 2015, so it is not as if he hasn't proven that he can be competitive at such a weight)

b) 4 athletes in a semifinal (Focken, Schell, Kudla, Popp) only "translated" to 3 bronze medals (statistically speaking 2 out of them should have made the final, so none of them making the final clearly feels like a disappointment to me)?

Nearly all of the German athletes who had a chance for medals or Olypic quotas delivered in the highly competitive pre-Olypic year. After years Stäbler lost early but managed to fight through repechages and finished strong with Bronze, after reducing weight which is absolutely energy-sapping and WAY harder than gaining weight in order to start in a heavier category. 

In which universe is THAT exactly a "horrible" result (which was your initial statement)?