website statistics

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker Road to Paris 2024

Strong results in the rowing semis in Lucerne, with women's Pair and women's double sculls winning their semis, mens pair and womens lightweight double making their finals. O'Donovan/McCarthy worryingly beaten by the Swiss, as I've suspected since the Swiss cake on the scene last year, the Irish lads will have a real fight on their hands to retain gold in Paris. Start of their season slightly disrupted by missing Europeans and World Cup I (O'Donovan competed in the heavyweight single) so hopefully they can find their inner Corkness and power on as the season goes on, a chance to turn the tables in the final tomorrow.

At the boxing Olympic qualifier, wins for Sean Mari (51kg) on a split against 🇵🇰  and light-heavy Kelyn Cassidy against 🇩🇪, both progress to round of 32, still a long road to qualification and only 3 spots up for grabs in Cassidy's division.

At the swimming trials, Shane Ryan hit the OCT for the 100m freestyle this morning, needs to find another 0.21 to get the Olympic Selection Tine. Danielle Hill first Irish woman under 25 seconds for 50m freestyle in 24.95, 0.25 off OST, hopefully one or both can hit those times later.

Some very encouraging performances in the rowing. The Swiss LWs are the real deal, but the two lads have been warned now and will know that they will have to find another gear to win gold.

It occurred to me this morning that as things stand it's possible that both our Olympic gold medalists from Tokyo could end up losing their crowns to "Ireland" athletes in Paris (to Amy Broadhurst and Ahumada Ireland). Hopefully not though!

Posted (edited)

On reflection, it looks like we are pretty much certain to qualify our men's 4x100m medley relay team now because if I understand correctly, we can send 4 relay-only swimmers courtesy of the fact we have 2 relay teams qualified:

Screen Shot 2024-05-25 at 20.35.13.png

For the women's 4x100m medley relay we are likely to enter Danielle Hill, Mona McSharry and Ellen Walshe and use 1 relay-only quota. That leaves us able to use 3 relay-only athletes for the men's event, assuming we enter Tom Fannon. We may qualify some swimmers through OCT invites anyway but the qualification of Danielle Hill and Tom Fannon this week should cement both relay team qualifying for Paris.

Edited by OlympicIRL

52 minutes ago, dodge said:

I think those limits are per gender, but I’m not 100% certain of that 

It doesn't specify so I don't think it is. In the table it lists the quota limit for up to 7 relays and there are 7 relays overall, not per gender.

A comfortable bronze for Murtagh and Keogh in Lucerne ahead of the Greeks but well behind Netherlands and Australia. Corrigan and Kearney well off the pace in their race, the change of personnel not massively changing the fortunes for that boat.

It's disappointing as it appears the mens pair is an event where, despite medalling at most recent World Championship, we are now out of medal contention for in Paris. Good bronze medal for Keogh and Murtagh but it appears they haven't closed the gap on Dutch and Aussies from last years worlds and Romania are not racing at this regatta.

With Doyle and Lynch having a disrupted season, prospects not great for men's double either, hopefully the women's double can push into medal contention, today will tell a lot. And with lightweight double having serious competition, we might have to revise our rowing expectations for Paris.

Yes, doesn't look like it's going to work out for the men's pairs this year. I haven't given up on the doubles yet, will need to see where they are when they come back. Keogh and Murtagh look like they'll be racing the Romanians for bronze in the Olympics at best.

Timoney has been injured so the first choice pair hasn’t raced. No idea if he’ll be OK for Paris but not ideal. Similar to the double. 

For what it’s worth my expectation has been one medal in rowing for a while now. Maybe 4 finalists and the women’s double might improve as Bergin matures but we’ve been closer to 4th than 2nd with our recent bronze winning partnerships so didn’t “expect” a medal there