website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

14 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

For baseball/softball and cricket, the IOC could create a category where if the host nation has the venues it can add them to the games (with an appropriate increase of athletes if they appear) and if they do not then they are left off. Not ideal, but I don't think we should force nations to build such huge stadiums that won't get any use after the games.

I think Cricket will definitely happen in 2032 Olympics with venues in nearby cities like Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. The cricket ground in Brisbane itself has a capacity of 42000. The 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia was hugely popular and had decent attendances in all the venues. 
Also Australia are genuine gold medal contenders with the women's team miles ahead of the rest

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Women’s football is fine until it grows big enough for FIFA to focus on the World Cup like they did with the men’s game.

I don't see women's football sustaining itself to a level where it is justified to make the Olympic tournament an U23 one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 3:51 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

For baseball/softball and cricket, the IOC could create a category where if the host nation has the venues it can add them to the games (with an appropriate increase of athletes if they appear) and if they do not then they are left off. Not ideal, but I don't think we should force nations to build such huge stadiums that won't get any use after the games.

The risk of such a category is there might be a push for other venues to get the same treatment. Track cycling and golf is an obvious risk. Canoe slalom maybe, but the cost of the venue is a lot less, even if it is event specific. Regardless we probably don't want to open that can of worms

Personally, I've long believed that baseball/softball and cricket should be rotated. Neither needs the Olympics every four years, but each would like to be Olympic sports, both represent a particular family of sports - bat-and-ball, or 'safe haven' sports (along with GAA rounders and a few others).

To me, the obvious solution is to put them in rotation - the Olympics becomes a genuine once in a life time opportunity, and hosts can bid knowing which Games suits them - So if LA did baseball, and Brisbane did Cricket, the 36 bidder would know it was baseball again, and an India or South Africa might wait until 40 for cricket again. Everyone's a winner.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:21 AM, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

I think Cricket will definitely happen in 2032 Olympics with venues in nearby cities like Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. The cricket ground in Brisbane itself has a capacity of 42000. The 2022 T20 World Cup in Australia was hugely popular and had decent attendances in all the venues. 
Also Australia are genuine gold medal contenders with the women's team miles ahead of the rest

If cricket and baseball rotated beginning LA 28 baseball, Brisbane 32 Cricket, India might be able to line up a 2040 Games bid, knowing they'll have cricket, and the humongous money making crowds such a tournament would bring.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, dodge said:

Far from lowering costs, football is a HUGE revenue generator for the Olympics. All stadia are already there and ticket sales far, far exceed any costs associated with staging the games  

Its not going anywhere 

Exactly - it's also why the men's tournament is so relatively big compared to other team sports - 16 full squads- because it really pays its way. all joking aside, many Olympic bids depend on the money the football generates - maybe averaging 35,000 a Game (it was more in London) over a 32 Game tournament (24 group, 8 knockout and medal); even if the average ticket were only 25£ (and we know its much more than that in reality) that's still well over 25£M revenue, with pretty limited venue costs.

I do wonder if LA might not have something similar with Baseball, really go for it in terms of revenue generation

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

If cricket and baseball rotated beginning LA 28 baseball, Brisbane 32 Cricket, India might be able to line up a 2040 Games bid, knowing they'll have cricket, and the humongous money making crowds such a tournament would bring.

So basically a forever rotation between North America / Japan and former british colonies. That's a fantastic idea.

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

So basically a forever rotation between North America / Japan and former british colonies. That's a fantastic idea.

Does France prefer Baseball or Cricket? Maybe they would naturalize a bunch of Quebecois for an Olympic baseball tournament the next time Paris hosts?