website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans Thread (2016 & 2017)

heywoodu

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

IAAF has kept Russia's ban for all international competitions, but left an opening for "provably clean athletes" to start in Rio according to some journalists. Question is how they'd prove that: their athletes only competed in Russia this year and the doping controls in Russia are nothing but a joke (like international testers being sent away by armed guards). 

I think it's up to the IOC and what they decide next week. 

2 minutes ago, tigersay said:

No. Only IOC can ban anybody from OG, so we need to wait for the 21st June. But athletes can qualify for the Olympics only on IAAF events, so if Russian athletes will be allowed to participate(doesn't matter, under which flag), they need to be already qualified.

ok thanks for clarifications

il y a 18 minutes, tigersay a déclaré:

No. Only IOC can ban anybody from OG, so we need to wait for the 21st June. But athletes can qualify for the Olympics only on IAAF events, so if Russian athletes will be allowed to participate(doesn't matter, under which flag), they need to be already qualified.

S. Coe just answeared that.  

There can't be any russian athletes competing under russian flag in any international competition (which includes the olympics). As far the IOC is concerned, they deal with the IAAF (not with national federation, nor with athletes) which is an association that counts 200 or so members, none of which representing Russia at the moment.

You can't run under your own flag during the olympics if there is no national federation recognized by the ioc-recognized international sport federation (IAAF in that case).

Edited by De_Gambassi

I think it can be summarized like this?

Will Russian athletes compete in Rio under the Russian flag?

No.

Could Russian athletes compete in Rio under the Olympic flag?

Possibly. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, tigersay said:

I remember that nearly 5 years ago there was a discussion on one Russian site, which "doping team" will be banned first - Russian racewalkers or Norwegian "asthmatic" skiers. First ones won;(  

How are the average Russian sports fans looking at Russian athletes and especially race walkers by the way? Do they accept that especially the race walkers are mostly dirty, or is it more like "they're clean but people try to frame them?". 

I've never actually read how average Russians think about that, so I'm quite curious. (the only person I read about that is some weirdo on Twitter who is saying that every tiny thing is a huge conspiracy :p ) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 минуту назад, heywoodu сказал:

How are the average Russian sports fans looking at Russian athletes and especially race walkers by the way? Do they accept that especially the race walkers are mostly dirty, or is it more like "they're clean but people try to frame them?". 

I've never actually read how average Russians think about that, so I'm quite curious. (the only person I read about that is some weirdo on Twitter who is saying that every tiny thing is a huge conspiracy :p ) 

It's hard to say about real average position.

Except the one you said, there are two more "big" opinions(if it can be said so).

The first one is that as there are no proofs from Seppelt and company(available for usual people), except some edited parts of videos, and photos, where you can hardly name the people on them, this is totally wrong to say something about any disqualifications.

Many people also notice that there are no such massive deals about Chinese, American, Kenian and so on, and that's because there is no such control in these countries(or they don't pay attention on this).

Anyway, only 3-4% percent say that the decision is right(except ones with Ukranian flags on avatar,lol) - more say that only walkers and 3-4 other dopers should be disqualified, and no more.

It's happening, Russians are goinf full CAS trying to overun the IAAF decision:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/16332749/russian-race-walkers-denis-nizhegorodov-svetlana-vasilyeva-launch-appeals-rio-de-janeiro-olympics-ban

It's nice that someone who is clean beyond any doubt like Nizhegorodov is leading the charge... Such integrity.