website statistics

Snowboard at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

I’m so happy Jacobellis :USA has a happy ending to her story. She’s been such a stalwart of the sport. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Good, these funding systems where everything is strictly tied to the number of medals won in a single competition (especially in sports with not so many events) are horrible and the more they are succesful, the more there are calls in other countries to copy them.

For British winter Olympians there is not really any other source of funding through. The mini golden era of GB winning medals on snow might be over. 

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I rmemebr watching the 2006 final and saying she will regret this for her life. What redemption for Jacobelis. I can actually be happy when Canada doesn't win gold ...

It does help this event is a low-hanging fruit with the same names competing for top places over & over again. And the fact Jacobellis hang around for so long tells me she really wanted that gold medal on hindsight. USA generally doesn't care about second place finishes by default.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I bet she has regretted making that comment for years now. One of the easiest things to mock in WOG history. You don't throw away Olympic gold medal like that.

Nope, that is what one of the small finalists said after their race today.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, that is what one of the small finalists said after their race today.

I remember Jacobellis said something similar after 2006 final though. She said "I was having fun". Yeah, throwing away a gold medal is fun? She's older now and I bet she regrets that 2006 final for quite a while already.