website statistics

Badminton Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Really tight race for the Pan American continental quotas in men’s doubles/women’s doubles/mixed doubles. I’m not feeling too confident about eventually securing a quota in any, even if we’re probably the top nation in Pan American badminton at the moment. 

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The Pan American Championships starts today. If Canada wants to qualify in doubles we'll likely need to win gold in those events.

If you really want to qualify, you’d have @Josh award the quotas to your closest rivals midway through the competition :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Here are the semifinalists of the Pan American Championships.

Men's Singles

:CAN Yang vs. :ESA Canjura

:BRA Coelho vs. :GUA Cordon

Women's Singles

:USA Zhang vs. :CAN Chan

:USA Lam vs. :CAN Li

Men's Doubles

:CAN Dong/Yakura vs. :USA Chiu/Yuan

:MEX Castillo/Montoya vs. :USA Chen/Smith

Women's Doubles

:CAN Choi/Wu vs. :USA Corbett/Lee

:BRA Lima/Lima vs. :USA Xu/Xu

Mixed Doubles

:CAN Lindeman/Wu vs. :USA Smith/Lee

:BRA Farias/Lima vs. :USA Chiu/Gai

Our top players are still in it. Hope they can finish it.

Edited by JoshMartini007

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Our top players are still in it. Hope they can finish it.

Kevin Lee/Ty Lindeman were the #2 seeds in men’s doubles (1,800 points back of an Olympic quota, and a tournament win plus a semifinal finish for Dong/Yakura would’ve been enough to overtake them I’m pretty sure), and bowed out during the round of 16. So no, not all of our top players are still alive. 

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Can someone explain to me how many Olympic ranking points are awarded at Super 300 tournaments? Can’t seem to find it anywhere :mumble:

@JoshMartini007 @Laraja

See here

Note starting on April 23rd the point system will change. Though the Super 300 will remain the same

52 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

See here

Note starting on April 23rd the point system will change. Though the Super 300 will remain the same

That’s the amount of points counting towards the World Ranking. Not sure if it’s the same for the Olympic Ranking. 

Edit: Because according to that, Lindeman/Lee have qualified for the Olympics as of today, but I don’t see any posts on Badminton Canada’s Instagram announcing that. 

Edited by Josh

3 hours ago, Josh said:

That’s the amount of points counting towards the World Ranking. Not sure if it’s the same for the Olympic Ranking. 

Edit: Because according to that, Lindeman/Lee have qualified for the Olympics as of today, but I don’t see any posts on Badminton Canada’s Instagram announcing that. 

World Ranking considers the last 12 months points. Olympic Ranking only counts tournaments in qualification period. So, at the end of QP, World Ranking will be same as Olympic Ranking.