website statistics

Mitrovic missed so many chances perhaps Dragan Stojkovic needs to start with Jovic & Vlahovic against Denmark. They were so bad & If I was a serb , I would be disappointed with some of the players attitude, it was as if Slovenia wanted it more. They were first to every 2nd ball. They are lucky to get a point . 

23 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

UEFA must sanction such players who are trying to stir up hatred on pitch . What fans do outside stadiums is not for UEFA or Host LoC to look into but the local police & government. 
But such hate speeches targeting an ethinic group on the field of play by a professional player must be clamped down by UEFA else this will spiral out of control. 
Today its an Albanian player tomorrow it could be a Serbian player, it won’t stop until UEFA steps in by suspending such individuals.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

It depends on your preferences of course. Flower of Scotland for me is probably number one: it's truly a fighting song, not so old it makes no sense anymore (the Dutch), not just some lame 'our country is the best' thing (USA), just generating a feeling of 'lets go!'. And for singing along, it has a perfect pace, not too fast for example, and indeed, full of emotion :d 

I would honestly not want the Dutch anthem to change, but I definitely only like it because I grew up with it and any replacement would not get remotely close to giving the same feeling....if I wasn't Dutch, I'd find it...meh :p 

Yeh, i haven’t read much into the history of the song but why would you have loyalty to Spain in this day & age! 
It was funny as in WC2010 it was Holland vs Spain final & your players were singing to be loyal to the spanish king:question:
I like the old German anthem which unfortunately is banned. “ Deutschland uber alles” it is very passionate. 

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Flower of Scotland beats every single 'national anthem' out there by at least 5-0 :bowdown::bowdown: 

Goosebumps, every time.

Het wilhelmus  ain’t that bad either. Flower of scotland has very passionate lyrics & highly emotional. But there are other anthems which are equally good if not better

:GER Were not as impressive as they were against Scotland. But that is more down to Hungary having a much better game & also Wirtz & Havertz not really clicking today. 
I feel Sane is no longer the player he was before, with his injuries his confidence & ability has diminished. 
So we have our first team into the knockout. 
Absolutely amazing tournament in terms of fan engagement & stadium atmosphere, which was missing for Qatar 2022. 

Good match that, Czechia nearly got a point their performance deserved. 
So, after end of Round 1 of matches which team has impressed the most? 

For me, I feel :GER were clinical albeit in front of a weak opponent. :ESP Were also good. Rest of the other big teams are yet to impress. 

6 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Quite bizarre that the Czechs play the Slovak usual ultra defensive anti-system, while yesterday we played a typically Czech, entertaining combative and courageous football. Incredible how things changed in a space of a year. Go and figure :dunno:

I used to love watching the Czech team of mid 90s , particularly Euro 96 . I was supporting them & they nearly won it. That team had special talented players like Nedved, Poborsky, Smicer  & Berger 

Football 2024 Discussion Thread
Posted
5 hours ago, Belle said:

Danish legend Jon Dahl Tomasson is the new Head Coach for Sweden’s Men’s National Team. :clap:

Good luck. :SWE :DEN

I have followed him closely for the last 18 months as he was the manager at Blackburn Rovers( the club I support) . 
You will love his brand of football , he is a very intelligent coach & plays aggressive high temp football. Players will love playing for him. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for him at Blackburn this season due to circumstances beyond his control. He took a very average Rovers squad to a nearly top 6 finish in the championship & missed out on GD for the playoffs. 
I wish Jon a lot of success in his new role, hope he takes Sweden to 2026 WC. 

1 minute ago, Laraja said:

That's waht you get when you go to this event without a coach.

20 years later, Brazil is out of Men's Tournament. But, what we can expect when we don't have even a president.

Btw, the same president who got the worst results in our national team, in all divisions, in the history!

Yes, I recently read somewhere that Brazilian federation is having a lot of conflict & even FIFA threatened Brazil with sanctions( possible Ban) due to government interference in running the football federation. Is it related to current president of the CBF or the election in CBF?

Feel sad for Team melli ,:( in tournament football perhaps the best team doesn’t always win. This team has so much quality , hopefully they will do well in 2026. Good luck to Qatar & Jordan . They were certainly not my picks for the final but they deserve to be in the final. 

27 minutes ago, MHSN said:

well, it could be a much much easier match, Iran missed so many big chances before Syria's goal 

and also this is Iran's first ever win on penalties at the Asian Cup in important matches (excluding non-important 3rd place matches) after losing 5 times in a row in the penalties in past 10 editions. :facepalm:

but playing 120 minutes was terrible when you have to face Japan on Saturday (less than 72 hours from now) 

and losing Taremi .:( ... well it seems that's his destiny, 4 years ago he was also suspended against Japan in the SF. :( 

Would you have played with the same system against Japan? I don’t think so. I don’t think your coach would have started both Azmoun & Taremi together against Japan, although I think it would have been Taremi starting with Azmoun coming off the bench, but with this suspension Azmoun will start but his tactics & gameplan might not change much . 

11 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that was really ugly from Mancini, leaving his team and going to the dressing room with still one penalty kick left :thumbdown:

Very strange behaviour from such an experienced coach. He should have stayed with his team till the last kick. Perhaps he knew his time was up & he will be sacked tomorrow