website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

30 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Nice concept but not sure how successful it would be considering the huge time difference

At least Hockey we can watch ...as all Indian matches falls under our usual timing

1 hour ago, tirtha22 said:

The Union Government has planned to bring sports fans together to celebrate the spirit of Olympics by putting up giant screens at open spaces in all major Indian cities. The concept of ‘fan park’ is a big hit among major football playing nations where fans enjoy the tournaments on giant screens set up at a central location. Sports Minister Vijay Goel said that the locations  will have giant screens, on which events involving the Indian athletes will be aired live. 

Have they earmarked locations? If they plan to do this, they should have already started publicising it widely. Can't depend on our ministry. We must plan a contingency if we want to do it. Am ready to take the initiative in Mumbai :yes

2 minutes ago, Suneet said:

Have they earmarked locations? If they plan to do this, they should have already started publicising it widely. Can't depend on our ministry. We must plan a contingency if we want to do it. Am ready to take the initiative in Mumbai :yes

rather, I have already started researching for locations :d

Anyone in Mumbai interested to watch the games together, do ping me back :)

Edited by Suneet

I think we are closing our quota at 121 ......I am going by the final list given in wikipedia ( tradionally inaccurate bu this list seems logical and as per the rules ) does not include tintu in the 4*400 squad ( they anyway can use her as required )  and the 50km squad would have manish and sandeep while the 20 km squad would have irfan , baljinder and gurmeet which seems to be logical ( except that devender in recent times has done well while irfan has really not been in form ) ..............

can somebody confirm this 121

and the 20 km and 50 km race walker team ?- other than wikipedia 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

8 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

I think we are closing our quota at 121 ......I am going by the final list given in wikipedia ( tradionally inaccurate bu this list seems logical and as per the rules ) does not include tintu in the 4*400 squad ( they anyway can use her as required )  and the 50km squad would have manish and sandeep while the 20 km squad would have irfan , baljinder and gurmeet which seems to be logical ( except that devender in recent times has done well while irfan has really not been in form ) ..............

can somebody confirm this 121

and the 20 km and 50 km race walker team ?- other than wikipedia 

Road to rio on the other hand is showing 

manish rawat being selected for the 20km and hence not selected for the 50km walk which would bring us back to 120 ?

they are showing manish , gurmeet and krishnan for the 20km and only sandeep for the 50 km .............????:mumble:. i think the 4*400 squads are finalised !!!............it depends now the race walker squad ............

On a personal front i prefer manish , gurmeet and krishnan for the 20km squad as given in race for rio as all three have been classy recently ( i am not sure why devender is being ignored his time of 1:20:21 is the best amongst the three , krishnan is just 1:21:41 - though his performance was the best in the last walk Rome 2016  ) and the 20km squad can do something special while the 50km has no chance at all 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

10 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

Road to rio on the other hand is showing 

manish rawat being selected for the 20km and hence not selected for the 50km walk which would bring us back to 120 ?

they are showing manish , gurmeet and krishnan for the 20km and only sandeep for the 50 km .............????:mumble:. i think the 4*400 squads are finalised !!!............it depends now the race walker squad ............

On a personal front i prefer manish , gurmeet and krishnan for the 20km squad as given in race for rio as all three have been classy recently ( i am not sure why devender is being ignored his time of 1:20:21 is the best amongst the three , krishnan is just 1:21:41 - though his performance was the best in the last walk Rome 2016  ) and the 20km squad can do something special while the 50km has no chance at all 

Relay squads: 4x400m Men: Anas, Arokia, Dharun, Kunhumohammed, Mohan Kr. Sumit Kumar; 4x400m Women: Nirmala, Poovamma, Anilda, Jisna, Debashree, Ashwini.

Interesting stats 

More interesting than quota from a medal perspective is medal opportunities .......

for example the hockey squad may have 16 quotas but will have only 1 medal opportunity but gagan is only 1 quota but he has 3 medal opportunities  and medal opportunity does not also correspond to events as we may have both ayonika and apurvi in 10m air rifle which is one event but two medal oppurtunities 

As per my count so in Rio  while we have 120 -121 quotas we have 91-92 medal opportunities and participation in  66 events 

in london we had 83 quotas and 69 medal opportunities  in 55 events 

Edited by nitinsanker