website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

I expect Colombia, Vietnam and Turkey get those suspensions no matter the excuses like the colombians made; though they still will be able to send a reduced team but I hope they don't get away and qualify full team and get potential medals that later will be under suspicion 

16 minutes ago, MHSN said:

IWF awarded 3  unused host quotas to

61kg: :PER Rojas

73kg: :KSA Al-Humayd

+109kg: :NED Kuworge

so they indeed gave those quotas to the next best NOC in each weight without a single quota.

@heywoodu any chance the Netherlands accepts the quota?

I don't have high hopes, but I'd gladly let the Dutch NOC surprise me...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

NOC document says in a certain situation (it's unclear in which situation) he has to have lifted the same as the 8th placed finisher at the previous world championships (Fernando Reis, 424kg). He got to 411kg at junior worlds recently, which is obviously less than 424kg, so I'm not optimistic...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Does anyone know whether Simon Martirosyan of Armenia has been cleared to compete at 109 kg in Tokyo?

Armenia registered his name over World Silver medalist in another weight. I think that pretty much shows he is cleared to compete.

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I suppose he can always have his trial after Tokyo

he is Armenia's biggest chance for the gold in Tokyo. of course his trial can wait !

actually since that wasn't intentional (I mean the crime) I believe even the victim's family is probably OK to let him go.

Dutch media is reporting Kuworge is qualified, but that doesn't mean a lot :p 

Let's wait for some official word.

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

NOC document says in a certain situation (it's unclear in which situation) he has to have lifted the same as the 8th placed finisher at the previous world championships (Fernando Reis, 424kg). He got to 411kg at junior worlds recently, which is obviously less than 424kg, so I'm not optimistic...

so only athletes capable of top 8 finish can go to the Olympics ? that's weird and stupid.

he is a World Junior Champion and in few years can be a medal contender at the world level. maybe even in Paris 2024. this is very stupid to deny him this chance to gain such an important experience.

do they know lots of those "top 8" at the Worlds are not going to the Olympics?! from what I saw one of them tested positive for doping and 3 of them are not going.

the 8th athlete who is actually going to Tokyo lifted 403kg. maybe that counts in his favor.

btw in case NED rejects the quota. that goes to Israel. fortunately that won't be problematic. Weightlifting is not a head-to-head sport.