website statistics

Weightlifting Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

vlad

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The IOC has already reduced weightlifting to 120 athlete quotas which means only 4 men and 4 women events (I guess they could do 5+5 with 12 athletes each) so even with the reforms the sport will be badly neutered

it is 5+5

:SAM have confirmed that they will be withdrawing their weightlifting team in compliance with a government decision on travel during the Covid-19 Pandemic.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The IOC has already reduced weightlifting to 120 athlete quotas which means only 4 men and 4 women events (I guess they could do 5+5 with 12 athletes each) so even with the reforms the sport will be badly neutered

That seems like a rightful punishment on one hand, but knowing the IOC, it seems highly unlikely they'll 'fix' the situation back into normality even if weightlifting ever gets fixed...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

:SAM have confirmed that they will be withdrawing their weightlifting team in compliance with a government decision on travel during the Covid-19 Pandemic.

It’s a shame really that they would not participate,

p.S who will have their quota instead?

42 minutes ago, Dnl said:

It’s a shame really that they would not participate,

p.S who will have their quota instead?

W87+: :IRI ( :AUS will take :SAM place in top 8 but there is no more Oceania athlete remaining, after :TGA got tripartite)

M67: :KIR (if quota is reallocated to next best Oceania) or :IND (if quota is reallocated to next best NOC)

M96: :GRE (no Oceania athlete remaining)

P.S.: If :COL is partially or fully banned, things may change as they have quota in both M67 and M96

10 hours ago, Dolby said:

M96: :GRE (no Oceania athlete remaining)

Oh My God, I don't know what to say if that really happens . our World and Olympic Champion Sohrab Moradi traveled the world to make up for his injury time and collect enough points to qualify. he ended up one place above this Greek guy. they removed him from the list because Iran qualified two other weightlifters in other weights.

this means he would qualify without doing anything. they just had to remove that Hashemi guy (109kg) from the list and just WAIT :wall::facepalm::cry: I can't believe we lost our best chance for the gold because of another Iranian weightlifter. :cry:

one of the greatest Persian poets once said "The beloved is at home and we wander about in the world" :(

12 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Oh My God, I don't know what to say if that really happens . our World and Olympic Champion Sohrab Moradi traveled the world to make up for his injury time and collect enough points to qualify. he ended up one place above this Greek guy. they removed him from the list because Iran qualified two other weightlifters in other weights.

this means he would qualify without doing anything. they just had to remove that Hashemi guy (109kg) from the list and just WAIT :wall::facepalm::cry: I can't believe we lost our best chance for the gold because of another Iranian weightlifter. :cry:

one of the greatest Persian poets once said "The beloved is at home and we wander about in the world" :(

If it makes you feel better, Greece didn't even send a team to the 2019 World Championships and it's been kind of a scandal now because our guy probably would've qualified if he went in 2019 and got points. However Pyrros Dimas (who is now president of our weightlifting federation I believe) decided to not send anyone and now he received some backlash for it.

Especially since this could be the first time since 1964 that we don't send any weightlifters to the Olympics (our only woman who qualified lost her spot because she was caught doping), and we've won more medals in weightlifting than any other sport except athletics, so this is like the final nail in the coffin for Greek weightlifting if we can't even qualify anyone for the Olympics anymore.

5 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I mean if you had asked me the ods of Samoa participating in April I'd say No . I love to read pacific papers and as early as then this was discussed. But when Samoa did not send their lifters to world juniors to Uzbekistan which had much lesser cases back then there was a doubt. They lost 3 golds there and the team wasn't an Olympic bound either. Somehow it was believed  for the sake of Olympics they might change the mind, especially since Don Opeloge is a medal contender (391kg)  and it'd probably  be Sipaia's last Olympics despite 25 thanks to the huge talent in that weight