website statistics
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ignore posts from bestmen and OlympicsFan, so I almost forgot how fun it is to read troll posts sometimes.

Public Service Announcement: All event highlights (including ones not broadcast), and full daily highlights (as well as a full replay of Opening Ceremony, and the dumb Pan Am Sports Show) are availabl

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

And now the first death of a Lima 2019 athlete (I believe). What a shit year this has been :cry:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1094321/peru-wrestler-jannette-mallqui-peche

 

Says the internet every single year, again and again, because every year apparently people die and things happen :( 

 

Not to make this case any less sad, of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

 

Says the internet every single year, again and again, because every year apparently people die and things happen :( 

 

Not to make this case any less sad, of course.

The tone of this year has just been morbid though. It does also seem like we’ve seen more athlete deaths than normal, but that could be me noticing them more now. Last month we had 35 (or something) Olympians die. Already this month we had the suicide of an Olympian, the suicide of a Youth Olympian. and the suspicious death of a Pan American Games athlete. Not to mention the fucking pandemic that sent the international sports calendar to hell, postponed the Olympics, and left us without sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The tone of this year has just been morbid though. It does also seem like we’ve seen more athlete deaths than normal, but that could be me noticing them more now. Last month we had 35 (or something) Olympians die. Already this month we had the suicide of an Olympian, the suicide of a Youth Olympian. and the suspicious death of a Pan American Games athlete. Not to mention the fucking pandemic that sent the international sports calendar to hell, postponed the Olympics, and left us without sport.

 

And every year I'm hearing "Damn, so many famous people died this year, can't wait for the year to end :( "

 

There's just more famous people nowadays, and so more famous people die. Which sucks, and is obviously sad for the people involved, but apart from a virus messing with stuff I don't think one year is much worse than the other on a global scale :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

 

And every year I'm hearing "Damn, so many famous people died this year, can't wait for the year to end :( "

 

There's just more famous people nowadays, and so more famous people die. Which sucks, and is obviously sad for the people involved, but apart from a virus messing with stuff I don't think one year is much worse than the other on a global scale :p 

The worst year for deaths of Olympians in the last decade saw 524 deaths, last year saw the fewest deaths - 472

At the present rate we're on course for about 480 deaths this year.

  • Wow! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The worst year for deaths of Olympians in the last decade saw 524 deaths, last year saw the fewest deaths - 472

At the present rate we're on course for about 480 deaths this year.

 

I'm surprised how consistent that number is, considering 472 and 524 are the outer edges.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...