website statistics

Men's Football UEFA Under 21 European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

it's history!

:ISR for the first time in the semifinals of the euro-u21

congrats to them!

bitter end for :GEO...losing on penalties is always painful...losing on penalties at home in front of a great crowd is heartbreaking :cry:

now, if at least one between :FRA and/or :ENG win their respective quarterfinal match, :ISR are also qualified to the Olympic Games Paris 2024

:GEO instead, must hope that both :FRA and :ENG advance to the semifinals to play the Olympic Quota playoff match

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Iran, Algeria and co. watching Israel rise in football and qualifying to stuff: :what:

I still don't consider it "rise in football", at least not yet. random results happen in youth level football. and this U23 team was hanging by a thread the entire time during the qualifiers and the final tournament. they advance round by round by the narrowest possible margin. no problem Iran is not going to qualify for the Olympics this time too

when I was a kid (I mean 10-12 or something) I thought maybe if Iran falls in the same group as Israel in the big football world cup maybe that forces them to change the policy because football is different. they can't afford doing that in football but I'm older and wiser now :d and I know that won't happen as long as this oldman lives 

btw I thought nowadays you are allowed to play against whoever you want. "do not mix sport with politic thing" has changed since February 2021. right ?

Edited by MHSN

11 hours ago, MHSN said:

I still don't consider it "rise in football", at least not yet. random results happen in youth level football. and this U23 team was hanging by a thread the entire time during the qualifiers and the final tournament. they advance round by round by the narrowest possible margin. no problem Iran is not going to qualify for the Olympics this time too

when I was a kid (I mean 10-12 or something) I thought maybe if Iran falls in the same group as Israel in the big football world cup maybe that forces them to change the policy because football is different. they can't afford doing that in football but I'm older and wiser now :d and I know that won't happen as long as this oldman lives 

btw I thought nowadays you are allowed to play against whoever you want. "do not mix sport with politic thing" has changed since February 2021. right ?

Yeah, I have learned over the years to not take the youth/junior events too seriously. Hungary was 3rd at the 2009 U20 World Cup, only one of those players ended up being top tier football players during their senior career (Gulácsi). Not to mentionion the numerous junior/youth success in women's handball during the late 2010s, which didn't manifest into a golden age of Hungarian handball in the last few years, to say the least. In team sports these junior/youth tournaments rarely mean anything for the future.