website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

15 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Polish former ski jumper Mateusz Rutkowski, 2004 junior world champion, has died, aged 37.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mateusz_Rutkowski

Only 11 World Cup starts in his career, which already ended in 2006. I'm sure our Polish users have heard more about it, but according to Wikipedia there had been tons of problems with alcohol, weight issues and such. Sounds tragic :( 

Yeah, Rutkowski was billed by our media as the "next Małysz" after beating Morgenstern for the individual Junior WCh in 2004 but it all unravelled very quickly due to alcohol. He lost his driving licence for drunk driving in 2005 so he was basically completely gone within two years. Funnily enough Kamil Stoch who was also on the 2004 Junior WCh silver medal team became Małysz's heir.

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

2015 men’s pole vault champion :CAN Shawnacy Barber has died at the age of 29 from unspecified medical issues.

Can't believe that Barber is gone!

During the 2015 Pan Am Games I sent a couple of athletes friends request on facebook. He not only accepted but was always super friendly and during the Rio Games we chatted a bit more and he even wrote he would try to get me tickets for the pole vault final.

Was super happy to read his come out post on facebook in the spring of 17, but hard to know what was it about. Afterwards he disappeared from social media and his results got a bit behind as well.  

1 minute ago, Mateus Nagime said:

Can't believe that Barber is gone!

During the 2015 Pan Am Games I sent a couple of athletes friends request on facebook. He not only accepted but was always super friendly and during the Rio Games we chatted a bit more and he even wrote he would try to get me tickets for the pole vault final.

Was super happy to read his come out post on facebook in the spring of 17, but hard to know what was it about. Afterwards he disappeared from social media and his results got a bit behind as well.  

He's obviously been dealing with some bad stuff, either medically or personally or both. His dad also had some legal issues (convicted of having sex with a minor).

We don't know what happened but whatever it can't have been good :/

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

2015 men’s pole vault champion :CAN Shawnacy Barber has died at the age of 29 from unspecified medical issues.

What the hell :( 

And damn, top comment on one of the pole vaulting pages showing how sick people have gotten in their conspiracy craziness....every single time something like this happens, goddamn idiots going straight over the back of a dead athlete.

image.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What the hell :( 

And damn, top comment on one of the pole vaulting pages showing how sick people have gotten in their conspiracy craziness....every single time something like this happens, goddamn idiots going straight over the back of a dead athlete.

image.png

These people act like no young people ever died prior to covid vaccines :facepalm: