website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

Japan might be slow in the vaccination campaign, but I don't understand how their situation can be considered that bad if the numbers shown on worldometers are correct. Having a quick look at the last days, they have like 6000 cases and 80 deaths per day and a total 1200 serious cases which is nothing if I compare those numbers with the Italian ones (the only ones I know on a regular basis). We have had days with 40000 cases and 800 deaths per day, with half of the population of Japan :mumble:

1 hour ago, Sindo said:

Japan might be slow in the vaccination campaign, but I don't understand how their situation can be considered that bad if the numbers shown on worldometers are correct. Having a quick look at the last days, they have like 6000 cases and 80 deaths per day and a total 1200 serious cases which is nothing if I compare those numbers with the Italian ones (the only ones I know on a regular basis). We have had days with 40000 cases and 800 deaths per day, with half of the population of Japan :mumble:

That's my question as well.  Why are these numbers overwhelming the Japanese healthcare system?  We see that the numbers have gone up, but it still is low per capita compared to other developed countries

4 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107862/rakuten-chief-tokyo-2020-suicide-mission And more high profile people in Japan are calling for the Games to be cancelled. 

And it's noted here about said Rakuten chief that Rakuten is one of the few prominent Japanese businesses not sponsoring the Games. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics-japanese-athletes-drawn-into-battle-over-tokyo-olympics-1.6029584

8 hours ago, Sindo said:

As east asian I can understand. Generally East Asian are quite cautious of the virus. It’s more like emotional burden not really medical resources collapse. Currently Taiwan have around 200 cases per day, they also went crazy.

But I am always 100% confident OG will go ahead as scheduled. Another typical East Asian character is that we are superstisious. If the OG canceled, it would be seen as the fall of national fate and Japan’s future is screwed up.

8 hours ago, Sindo said:

Btw this Monday Tokyo and Osaka saw 21 day and 42 day low covid cases respectively. The total cases in Japan was lowest since April 26.

It did increase yesterday to 5000 odd but I think by May 31 it would be around 3-4k or lower. But I think they may extend the emergency still. I think Japan is making a fuss of the issue. They have to understand it's not any ordinary virus outbreak that they expect 0 cases and worry Olympic athletes will spread covid. 

Most Japanese people, including media , are against the games. Hence I won't be surprised if they release polls telling 95% want cancelled. It's all scripted .

28 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Btw this Monday Tokyo and Osaka saw 21 day and 42 day low covid cases respectively. The total cases in Japan was lowest since April 26.

It did increase yesterday to 5000 odd but I think by May 31 it would be around 3-4k or lower. But I think they may extend the emergency still. I think Japan is making a fuss of the issue. They have to understand it's not any ordinary virus outbreak that they expect 0 cases and worry Olympic athletes will spread covid. 

Most Japanese people, including media , are against the games. Hence I won't be surprised if they release polls telling 95% want cancelled. It's all scripted .

A lot of people are convinced it will become a super-spreader event.  That shouldn't be a major risk so long as health and safety protocols are followed (easier said than done).

I completely understand why Japanese citizens want it cancelled.  They have a very strong argument that it's taking resources away from where they are needed.  But yes, to Vic Liu's point, the situation would have to get much worse before they would consider a cancellation at this point.

41 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

A lot of people are convinced it will become a super-spreader event.  That shouldn't be a major risk so long as health and safety protocols are followed (easier said than done).

I completely understand why Japanese citizens want it cancelled.  They have a very strong argument that it's taking resources away from where they are needed.  But yes, to Vic Liu's point, the situation would have to get much worse before they would consider a cancellation at this point.

And I believe it might not be possible to cancel the games so close like at least in the 50 days . So next 15-20 days must be crucial.  

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210519_19/

"Japan's prime minister says he believes that the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics can be held in a safe manner by implementing thorough anti-virus measures.

Suga Yoshihide made the remarks at an Upper House plenary session on Wednesday..."