website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

33 minutes ago, opruh said:

China should ban unvaccinated western athletes just like what Australia is doing. Such move is harsh but it' for the safety of the general public anyway.

TBH they basically are. AFAIK only one unvaccinated Western athlete is going, and the three week quarantine is going to destroy any chance she had to be competitive.

Beijing has its first reported case of Omicron, specifically in the district I live in (Haidian).  

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/beijing-covid-19-first-local-omicron-case-china-outbreaks-2437546

Schools will go online this week (and the next if they're still not on Lunar New Year break).  The LNY break will also be extended to cover the whole Olympics.  

Haidian is in the western part of the city, and will host several events like short track, figure skating, some of the hockey matches and big air competitions.  

Beijing instituted a rule in December that if you visited any city or area that ends up having a case in the last 14 days you would not be allowed to re-enter the capital.  If you already returned, you must self-quarantine immediately at home.  I had some friends that were forced to do that after returning from Xi'an, which has been on lockdown for several weeks now.  

I went shopping to stock up today and hope we don't end up like Xi'an or the other cities currently on lockdown. Right now it's just the one case, so fingers crossed it won't get worse.  

On 1/15/2022 at 7:54 PM, intoronto said:

Found the full article they were talking about.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-021-00696-5.pdf?origin=ppub

If someone interested.

Short summary: sustainbility is decreasing slowly and SLC was the most sustainable since 2002.

With the first case of Omicron variant reported in Beijing, it's the most appropriate timing to finally announce that Olympic tickets only for invited personnels, mainly government and state-owned enterprise staff, and not for public. It's also reported that some Beijing staff got invitation but with low interest to accept and also committee promised that every match will be with spectators if it's designed so.

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

With the first case of Omicron variant reported in Beijing, it's the most appropriate timing to finally announce that Olympic tickets only for invited personnels, mainly government and state-owned enterprise staff, and not for public. It's also reported that some Beijing staff got invitation but with low interest to accept and also committee promised that every match will be with spectators if it's designed so.

The PLA is going to be busy, then.

6 minutes ago, opruh said:

Busy celebrating the second most successful olympics ever after Beijing 2008.

Those are awful high expectations given the state of the world. If Beijing is remembered for hosting games that weren’t a complete disaster then they will have done a great job (see also: Tokyo last year).

13 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Well, as I can see that the personnel and some governmental official are refusing .... If I were in the skin of BOCOG, in order to bring the spectators in a "safe matter" and in order to develop the interest in winter sports in the country, I would give the tix to schools. Kids would have memory for life and the places would not be empty...... Just one concern about it is that it will be the winter vacation and maybe to follow the covid protocol while kids being out of the school might be a little difficult .... 

17 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, as I can see that the personnel and some governmental official are refusing .... If I were in the skin of BOCOG, in order to bring the spectators in a "safe matter" and in order to develop the interest in winter sports in the country, I would give the tix to schools. Kids would have memory for life and the places would not be empty...... Just one concern about it is that it will be the winter vacation and maybe to follow the covid protocol while kids being out of the school might be a little difficult .... 

It's a good idea but I don't think authority have guts to allow the kids to be spectators. Even schools have interest but most kids' parents will refuse. I guess you must know what general Chinese parents feel about the Olympic venues full of people.

On the other hand, I didn't totally give up any chance. I ask my friends working in government to ask if it's allowed bring their friends to the Olympics as so many invitees prefer to refuse the invitation.

4 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

It's a good idea but I don't think authority have guts to allow the kids to be spectators. Even schools have interest but most kids' parents will refuse. I guess you must know what general Chinese parents feel about the Olympic venues full of people.

On the other hand, I didn't totally give up any chance. I ask my friends working in government to ask if it's allowed bring their friends to the Olympics as so many invitees prefer to refuse the invitation.

Yeah, I totally get it. You know, but if you look at Tokyo Games, mostly spectators were the team members who weren't competing that day ...... If Beijing wants to extend this, they need to consider more possibilities ...... If not school, then it should be some partners and sponsors and their family members but it still not as high amount as they might need. I am afraid the athmosphere will be dead again .....